Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Dime, this is what the uploader at to say, enjoy the demos sessions from this incrediable underrated album!

OREWORD : Sometime between January and May of 1985, Black Sabbath had more or less split up after the departure of Bill Ward during the spring of 1984. Bill's departure was followed closely by Geezer
Butler's own exit sometime around January 1985. It was then that Tony Iommi decided to write and record his first solo album. Recently engaged to singer / guitar player Lita Ford at the time, he asked her bass
player (Gordon Copley) and drummer (Eric Singer) to help him work on his new songs. Iommi also asked Geoff Nicholls to play the keyboards on these sessions.

Once rehearsals began, Tony started looking around for a lead singer to complete the equation. Enter Jeff Fenholt, who was known best at the time for playing Jesus in the musical "Jesus Christ Superstar". According to Eric Singer, the collaboration between Fenholt and Iommi lasted about a mounth, after which Fenholt got fired.

Under the pressure of Warner Brothers, these sessions for Iommi's first solo record would actually become the basis for the next Black Sabbath album "SEVENTH STAR" in late 1985. None of Fenholt's ideas or lyrics made it to the final record.

I wanted to make this little foreword to make it clear that I don't consider Jeff Fenholt as an ex-Black Sabbath singer as he has stated since. Jeff Fenholt was tried as Tony Iommi's singer but didn't get the job and the music they were working on at the time ended on a Black Sabbath album. Still these alternate versions are very interesting for the fans so let us forget the debate and enjoy the music !

CD 1 :

DATE : Some time between 01/85 and 05/85

PLACE : Cherokee Studios, Hollywood, USA

SOUND QUALITY : Very good to excellent (some tape hiss and and a few speed distortions)

BOOTLEG CD : "The Seventh Star Demos"

LINE-UP :

Tony Iommi (guitar)
Jeff Fenholt (vocals)
Gordon Copley (bass)
Eric Singer (drums)
Geoff Nicholls (keyboards and backing vocals)
Lita Ford (guitar and vocals on "The Thrill Is Gone")

TRACKLIST :

Star Of India [Version #1]
Take My Heart [Version #1]
Eye Of The Storm [Version #1]
Love On The Line [Version #1]
Chance On Love [Version #1]
Jam #1
The Thrill Is Gone
Unknown song
Jam #2
Unknown Instrumental #1
Unknown Instrumental #2

NOTES :

This selection contains what seems to be rough tapes from the first round of rehearsals. The sound quality here is very good to excellent and you get to hear the counting at the beginning of the songs and some studio chats. The song "The Thrill Is Gone" is in fact a BB King cover which should have been on Lita Ford's following album but ended being an outtake.

The music of thesong "Star Of India" evolved into "Seventh Star" on the "Seventh Star" album in 1986. "Take My Heart" became "No Stranger To Love", "Eye Of The Storm" became "Turn To Stone", "Love On The Line" became "Heart Like A Wheel" and "Chance On Love" became "Danger Zone"

-----------------------------------------------------

CD 2 :

DATE : Some time between 01/85 and 05/85

PLACE : Cherokee Studios, Hollywood, USA

SOUND QUALITY : Excellent

BOOTLEG CD : "Star Of India"

LINE-UP :

Tony Iommi (guitar)
Jeff Fenholt (vocals)
Gordon Copley (bass)
Eric Singer (drums)
Lita Ford (guitar and vocals on "The Thrill Is Gone")

TRACKLIST :

Star Of India (Version #2)
Take My Heart (Version #2)
Eye Of The Storm (Version #2)
Love On The Line
Star Of India (Version #3)
Chance On Love
Take My Heart (Version #1)
Eye Of The Storm (Version #1)
Star Of India (Version #1)
Unknown song
Jam #1
Jam #2
The Thrill Is Gone
Unknown Instrumental
Unknown Instrumental #2
Unknown Instrumental #2[continued]

NOTES :

This selection includes what was on the previous one, in mastered, edited and speed corrected versions, plus one new version of "Take My Heart" and "Eye Of The Storm" and two new versions of "Star Of India".

Those new tracks seem to have been recorded some times after the first : The lyrics are more coherent and well written, the music sounds more evolved (and somewhat closer to the final album version). There seems to have been more work done on the mix too.

-----------------------------------------------------

CD 3 :

DATE : Some time between 01/85 and 05/85 for the three first tracks, unknown for the six last tracks but most likely 1985 too.

PLACE : Cherokee Studios, Hollywood, USA for the three first tracks, unknown for the six last tracks.

SOUND QUALITY : Excellent

BOOTLEG CD : "Sixth Star"

LINE-UP :

(Tracks 1-3) :

Tony Iommi (guitar)
Jeff Fenholt (vocals)
Gordon Copley (bass)
Eric Singer (drums)

(Tracks 4)

Jeff Fenholt (vocals)
Tony Macalpine (guitar)
Rudy Sarzo (bass)
Tommy Aldridge (drums)

(Tracks 5-9)

Jeff Fenholt (vocals)
Pedro Howze (guitar)
Geezer Butler (bass)
Gary Ferguson (drums)
Gerald Woodroffe (keyboards)

TRACKLIST :

Star Of India (Version #2)
Take My Heart (Version #2)
Eye Of The Storm (Version #2)
Rock The World
Lock Myself Away
Don't Turn Away (Version #1)
Love Has No Mercy (Version #1)
Love Has No Mercy (Version #2)
Don't Turn Away (Version #2)

NOTES :

The first three songs are the same as the first three songs on the "Star Of India" bootleg. The sound quality is excellent, with a slight distortion in the higher frenquencies. "Rock The World" is an outtake from the "Project Driver" by MARS. Tracks 5 to 9 are demos of the Geezer Butler Band, Geezer Butler's solo act from the mid-80s.

:icon_head:icon_head:angel::bowdown::lol:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8TZPSAF4

some avaliable covers
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W49IVJ1F

enjoy!!!!!:icon_head

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
I have this,but maybe not all the tracks, will check. Quality was pretty hiss laden (from what I remember), but hearing Tony lay down some great blues licks and solos made it worthwhile.

Not sure if this bootleg was here on G101 before, [and I mean like 3 or more years before :) ]
I never thought of uploading it as I thought many Sabbath fans who do know of this, do not like it much and hate Fenholt.

Funny, I DO REMEMBER seeing him on the TBN network in the early 1990s and him saying he was in Black Sabbath.
All I knew was it seemed like Iommi had a new singer every year back then.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This link has been stolen from DP Hub. If you would like to post this show - you can upload it by yourself and not use my links.....

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Link protected !!! Have someone a password ???
I told you this morning, we don't have the password, but there was also a LOT of other Black sabbath on Guitars101 you can get for now.

You only want these most recent Black Sabbath uploads? and not any of the others that members have shared? hmmmm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts