·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Instead of being rude... why don't you download it... if the quality sucks hit the delete key...if the quality is to your liking then play it loud and do nice air guitar moves every time Mick rips a solo... problem solved...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
a great show and quite good sound (fm perhaps, given that this is KSAN territory) and very '1970-era' blooz-rock with some jazz-y sax solos (flute as well?)...but abrahams sounds a bit more alvin lee than i recalled him being.

it made me wonder how martin barre would sound in this setting.

the post is very appreciated ghostface! thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Instead of being rude... why don't you download it... if the quality sucks hit the delete key...if the quality is to your liking then play it loud and do nice air guitar moves every time Mick rips a solo... problem solved...
Is that easier than you posting 3 words?

·
Registered
220 Posts
a great show and quite good sound (fm perhaps, given that this is KSAN territory) and very '1970-era' blooz-rock with some jazz-y sax solos (flute as well?)...but abrahams sounds a bit more alvin lee than i recalled him being.

it made me wonder how martin barre would sound in this setting.

the post is very appreciated ghostface! thanks!
AH! Thanks for the addt'l info.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The facts: It is an above average sounding audience recording, in monaural.:cussing: mp 320, which it doesn't warrant, the sound is not good enough, tremendous tape noise, hiss, or some other rushing noise. Some guy here has the slogan "Do not confuse a good performance with good sound quality". That is what has happened here. They may be tour favorite band, whatever, the sound is average + mono from an up close audience taper..

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The facts: It is an above average sounding audience recording, in monaural.:cussing: mp 320, which it doesn't warrant, the sound is not good enough, tremendous tape noise, hiss, or some other rushing noise. Some guy here has the slogan "Do not confuse a good performance with good sound quality". That is what has happened here. They may be tour favorite band, whatever, the sound is average + mono from an up close audience taper..

deaf snob... happy you deleted the thing...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
so it's a C+ aud?

i also find it very hard to believe that a mono recording can sound so good, with respect to this show presenting a nice full 'stage', probably owing a lot to the individual instruments' mix generally being nearly perfectly miked and balanced.

yeah, on the quiet acoustic slide guitar number the hiss becomes very apparent...so it wasn't on an XL-II so what.
they still didn't exist 40 years ago.

i'd love to know the provenance of this, how it still exists at all...WAY better than lots of other attempts at recording a show that i've gotten.

this isn't a fan-boy curiosity either as a obviously better-than-average 1960s 1970s blues band goes. it's definitely better than simply 'listenable' imho.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I agree with some people's opinions that more info should be included.
not everybody paid for rapidshare. therefore those people who are free users need to pick and chose what to get.

and with so much to download up here it would be a waste of time to grab something if you had enough info to then decide you didn't want it. there's only so much time in a day to get what you really like.

taking the time + bandwidth to grab something even for free when you find out its not to your liking due to inferior recording, etc... delays someone from getting something else that might be better.

just IMO...

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
also someone mentioned this could be from KSAN?
if so that does not guarantee its really a sbd recording.
just an FM broadcast or pre-fm copy.
from other KSAN listed shows I have seen in various places on the web,
some shows were aud recordings anyway.
could have been from the sound guys using pro mics or cheap mics but not sbd plug in.
or an aud member with a cheap recorder. sometimes we don't know.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
last thing, found this info on this show on another list:
Blodwyn Pig
Fillmore West, San Francisco, California, August 3rd, 1970
1. It's Only Love 3:34
2. Ain't Ya Comin' Home Babe ? 10:33
3. Dear Jill 4:46
4. Worry 9:23
5. Variations on San Francisco Sketches:
a. Beach Scape
b. Fisherman's Wharf
c. Telegraph Hill
d. Close the door, I'm falling out of the room 14:41
6. Cat Squirrel 12:24
7. See My Way 7:54
8. Slow Down 6:31
9. Rock Me 4:01
Total 73:49
Really cool audience recording.
2nd generation cassette > behringer ultra curve pro deq 2496 equalizer > tascam cdrw750 > plex tool professional XL > wav > flac

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
thanks for the extra info, acidfrank.
as to KSAN being a for-sure stamp of quality, i didn't grow up there. maybe they played some auds here and there.
but what someone on 'various places on the web' labels as 'a KSAN broadcast' doesn't necessarily have to be true either. if it was a fillmore, winterland or cow palace show it sure could be. KSAN, its predecessors and other SF radio stations had a strong tradition of putting forth a LOT of live-as-it-happened music.
bad quality could also be it's 2nd-third generation provenance over 40+ years, re-recordings on god-knows-what sort of shitty cassette machines...AND perhaps with a 'stereo' switch mistakenly set to 'mono'? aside from the fact that bay-area FM and TV reception often was crummy due to the terrain - this i know from friends from there.
KSAN was also for years a sort of a sister station to WXRT here in chicago, who to my knowledge and ears never broadcast any aud tapes of live shows.
tho there WAS a david lindley/el rayoX show which i always suspected was an audience, it was so tinny, great as the music itself was.
thanks again, frank.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts