Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
here in Portugal we don't have much information about blues, and one thing that really interest me it's about the new "blues generation".
I love all the legends like Albert Collins,Stevie Ray,BB King,Gary Moore (i hope you don't mind that gary it's on my list)...
what can we expect from the "new generation"???
I heard that Kenny Wayne Shepherd stop playing the blues (god,why???), the new album from Jonny Lang was a really desilusion to me, Joe Bonamassa it's great but something missing...
what's your opinion about the blues in the future???

Best regards from Portugal:icon_thum

Rodras

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
It does seem that it may go more underground for a few years...it was only 15 years ago that Gary Moore started a bit of a revival in the UK with the Blues For You album. At the same time, a really great blues band called The Hoax, have quit the scene because it was so difficult to get gigs in the UK and make a living, even tho they were playing BB Kings place in the US and getting rave reviews. Sadly, blues is not a youth driven mainstream form of music and, if rotation on MTV, VH1 etc dissapears, it will make it even more difficult for bands to come thru. Having said that, it's never better than when seen in a smokey club in front of about 100 purists. :thumb:

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
eric gales, gov't mule, lonnie brooks jr. all very good.

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
BB king has been quoted as saying that blues never goes away, it just comes in cycles, but always comes back. I think he has been proven right, we're just in a down cycle right now.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
although i like BB and SRV and Buddy Guy and those greats i aslo love kenny wayne, johnny lang, and my newest favorite is Joe Bonamassa... i mean he was discovered by BB King himself.. he started playin at age 4 and at age 6 he was playin SRV tunes and then at the age of 12 openin shows for BB so you know he has what it takes... blues is still alive, its just like metal, once people tire of the everyday rap and hip hop they both may come back.. let us pray:icon_thum

·
Registered
235 Posts
rodras said:
Hi,
here in Portugal we don't have much information about blues, and one thing that really interest me it's about the new "blues generation".
I love all the legends like Albert Collins,Stevie Ray,BB King,Gary Moore (i hope you don't mind that gary it's on my list)...
what can we expect from the "new generation"???
I heard that Kenny Wayne Shepherd stop playing the blues (god,why???), the new album from Jonny Lang was a really desilusion to me, Joe Bonamassa it's great but something missing...
what's your opinion about the blues in the future???

Best regards from Portugal:icon_thum

Rodras
Dont worry, guys like Delmark and MCA will be looking for new talents. :D :D :D Blues is still gonna last because it has Soul.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree, Joe Bonamassa has a great blues feel. Have you ever seen him live? I had never heard of him till I saw the PBS documetary on Tom Dowd, and there was this kid playing this blistering blues lick. Turns out it was Bonamassa, and Tom Dowd was coaching him on some song he was writing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll throw another into the mix. Check out a band called Indigenous (www.indigenousrocks.com). There are 4 or 5 songs you can legally download from amazon.com. Just search for Indigenous and scroll down to the free downloads link.

Anyway, I had never heard of them before, but they opened for Jonny Lang when he came through D.C about a year ago. After seeing Indigenous, Jonny was a bit of a let down. Their front man (Mato Nanji) sings and rips his strat and is the closest thing to SRV or Hendrix I've seen in a long time. If you ever get a chance to see them live, don't pass it up if you like that style. I only have 1 of their CDs, and while it's good, it doesn't compare to the live show (but then, do they ever?).

·
Registered
49 Posts
wahwah said:
Sadly, blues is not a youth driven mainstream form of music and, if rotation on MTV, VH1 etc dissapears, it will make it even more difficult for bands to come thru.
I agree with wahwah, there's just not a market for it where most of your music listeners (high volume on a daily basis) are the younger generation.
But guys like Joe Bonamassa and Paul Wood that are up and coming still sell records(CD)and tickets to shows, it's just not promoted as well as some of the other music out there. Another one of my favs including the ones mentioned above is Robben Ford--great jazzy blues.

G

·
Blues has died out in many people, but, there are many that are still playing the blues. You just watch. There will be many great blues musicians soon.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I always thought blues was dying out .. but there are many great players around that are underground , people complain about mtv and the crappy music thats out there who says you have to pay attention to that? .. if you want to hear good music it's out there you just have to find it ! .. it will never die out :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Blues is far far from dead... Check the DVD from Eric Clapton's Crossroads guitar festival!! Many of the old school, mid-aged and the young guys on there!! Recorded in Dallas, Texas July 2004.

For some of the young guns check out stuff from Doyle Bramhall II, John Mayer, Robert Randolph, Johnny Lang as well as Jimmmie Vaughan, Eric Johnson, Robert Cray, Robin Trower from the middle-aged bunch

·
Registered
150 Posts
The music as a whole is in bad condition nowadays. I'm sure there is no future not for for Blues alone, but for Rock and even Metall as well.

BTW do you check your PMs Zahzoo :) ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
blues in Portugal

you know what?
yesterday, i was in a bar with live music. The band, with a reportory very far from blues, choosed a blues for final music.
it was amazing, everybody loved that cover, and that's when i realized that everybody loves to listen a good blues, but defennetly they are not "trained" to listen this kind of music.
Here, in Portugal, i do my best to put the blues in the right place, and the concerts are going fine - thanks god - but i must confess that i had to put some "blues brothers", Gary Moore and stuff like that in the reportory...not the traditional blues, but i think it's one of the good ways to transmit the "blues message".
Blues it's all around...:icon_peac

Best regards from Portugal

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
the problem for many is location. I am blessed to live in the chicago area, if any of you come to Chicago go to the Kingston Mines or Buddy Guy's "Legends" club, you'll see blues is alive and well. It's just underground now. I think what everyone wants is a new SRV or somthing. I doubt it. The music corp. does not see it as a sellable product. All about da $$$. That kinda of sux too, as we are bombarded w/ lip-synchers, and no talent rappers who can't sing or play, yet they get the press and TV/ radio/ and video coverage, and kids eat it up!! As my pal once said "THE MASSES ARE THE ASSES"!!!:werd:

·
Registered
150 Posts
^ That way all Beatles fans are asses. Are they? I don't think so

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
Mishar McLeud said:
^ That way all Beatles fans are asses. Are they? I don't think so
aye good point, as i love the beatles...but i was mainly referring to the current masses. question-if the good metal (eg. Symphony x),blues (Joe B) got all the attention and airplay and promotion as ashlee simpson, eminem (uhhggh) and justin timberlake they would all sell millions. so many jump on the latest bandwagon. the above mentioned wouldn't even be heard of w/o the promotion. Tis a sad business. :(

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
zeppy

Oh yeah, for all the other doubters of the future of blues listen to zeppy's post, that will help you realize blues has a future.

·
Registered
150 Posts
flair said:
aye good point, as i love the beatles...but i was mainly referring to the current masses. question-if the good metal (eg. Symphony x),blues (Joe B) got all the attention and airplay and promotion as ashlee simpson, eminem (uhhggh) and justin timberlake they would all sell millions. so many jump on the latest bandwagon. the above mentioned wouldn't even be heard of w/o the promotion. Tis a sad business. :(
Fair enough, but I think the problem with current masses is that new generation doesn't want to listen to what their parents used to (as usuall), and nothing decent has been discovered since Metall age (till mid-90s). I mean, current teens are no less smart (or no more idiots :) ) than teens who've been listening to Elvis and Zeps and Van Halen, that's just Grunge and Nu Metal that sucks.

Edited: and Ashley Simpson too :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts