1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Thank you, everyone!

·
Registered
207 Posts
For ref there is no master tape for this. Compiled from multiple sources back in the day, more recently 'recreated' from best modern circulating sources. that is the copy I have had for several years. Nice to see the original vinyl press from whatever generation of tapes/reels the TMoQ guys had access to back in 69, if only for historical reasons.
Thanks for the post

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for the upload - great quality. Here the setlist as text:

01-Candy Man (Minnesota Hotel tape, Minneapolis 12-61)
02-Ramblin' 'Round (Minnesota Hotel tape, Minneapolis 12-61)
03-Black Cross (Minnesota Hotel tape, Minneapolis 12-61)
04-Ain't Got No Home (Minnesota Hotel tape, Minneapolis 12-61)
05-Death Of Emmit Till (Minnesota Hotel tape, Minneapolis 12-61)
06-Poor Lazarus (Minnesota Hotel tape, Minneapolis 12-61)
07-New Orleans Rag ('Another Side' outake 6-64)
08-If You Gotta Go, Go Now (outake '65)
09-Only A Hobo ('Times' outake '63)
10-Sitting On A Barbed Wire Fence ('Highway 61' outake '65)
11-Mighty Quinn - take 1 (Basement tapes '67)
12-This Wheel's On Fire (Basement tapes '67)
13-Baby Please Don't Go (Minnesota Hotel tape, Minneapolis 12-61)
14-Interview by Pete Seeger (Broadside Show 3-62)
15-Dink's Song (Minnesota Hotel tape, Minneapolis 12-61)
16-See That My Grave Is Kept Clean (Minnesota Hotel tape, Minneapolis 12-61)
17-East Orange New Jersey (Minnesota Hotel tape, Minneapolis 12-61)
18-Man Of Constant Sorrow (Minnesota Hotel tape, Minneapolis 12-61)
19-I Shall Be Released (Basement tapes '67)
20-Open The Door, Homer - take 1 (Basement tapes '67)
21-Too Much Of Nothing - take 2 (Basement tapes '67)
22-Nothing Was Delivered - take 1 (Basement tapes '67)
23-Tears Of Rage - take 2 (Basement tapes '67)
24-Living The Blues (Johnny Cash Show 1-5-69)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not sure it is 'great' quality compared to current sources, but it sure is great history and thank you for the text info also. Of course most of the mid 60s onwards stuff is now officially available, and the Minneapolis 61 circulates in much better quality (also available on dozens of 'grey market' CD releases in your local HMV). As with the famous OMAYYAD Floyd boot 3 years later these guys regularly used multi-generation tapes to compile their 'product' Assuming they presented the pressing plant with a compiled 'master' tape then we obviously have to make the generation of each particular source 'n+1'. 'This is just before they launched the TMoQ 'brand' and began capturing (sometimes twice as with the Stones Oakland '69) and then pressing vinyl from their own AUD masters.
I have heard the original vinyl years back, owned copy represses but never acquired an original or a proper transfer.
The recreated version is also expanded and as with the various MQR tribute to the OMAYYAD releases is primarily to honour the famous original release and let those who've had it for years hear it in a more modern audio quality
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to share this, much appreciated and long overdue around here

·
Registered
171 Posts
For ref there is no master tape for this. Compiled from multiple sources back in the day, more recently 'recreated' from best modern circulating sources. that is the copy I have had for several years. Nice to see the original vinyl press from whatever generation of tapes/reels the TMoQ guys had access to back in 69, if only for historical reasons.
Thanks for the post
Right, that is what I meant.

But the TMOQ master tape is available too though. No need for vinyl transfers beyond historical nostalgia.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How does all the boot sources compare to the commercial release of the basement tapes by Garth Hudson a few years ago ? I don't know much about the original bootleg LP release but it seems that side 4 contains the "basement tapes". I would assume the commercial release of that material (not the material released in the 70s) would be from the "master" tapes. Supposedly, the GWW was released BEFORE the Band's 1st LP which in reality promoted that 1st Band LP. I think it's fair to say that someone in the Band or very close to the Band leaked those "basement tapes" , some believe Dylan knew about it , some say he didn't ... anyone have the real story ???

·
Registered
171 Posts
How does all the boot sources compare to the commercial release of the basement tapes by Garth Hudson a few years ago ? I don't know much about the original bootleg LP release but it seems that side 4 contains the "basement tapes". I would assume the commercial release of that material (not the material released in the 70s) would be from the "master" tapes. Supposedly, the GWW was released BEFORE the Band's 1st LP which in reality promoted that 1st Band LP. I think it's fair to say that someone in the Band or very close to the Band leaked those "basement tapes" , some believe Dylan knew about it , some say he didn't ... anyone have the real story ???
"Great White Wonder" uses the mono promotional acetate compiled by Dylan & Hudson which was eventually released as a vinyl-only RSD thing called "The Original Basement Tape". The official box set is taken from the twin-track stereo reels, remixed to a more natural stereo.

The complete sessions were leaked out via Hudson who allowed friends to borrow the reels, and in the process some of them were stolen/lost. The official box set uses the bootlegs for that stuff.

·
Registered
207 Posts
We did eventually get to hear the Basement sessions in something approaching a decent mix. Aafter the overdubbing and probable re-recording of some of the strongest material it would appear that nobody could be bothered to produce a proper stereo mix (it was for music publishing promo purposes only). This is evidenced in the appalling level fluctuations etc present on the Garth Hudson studio 'safety master' and.a decision was probably taken to just mix it down to mono. Of course other tapes were also distributed through various formal and informal channels to 'drum up' cover versions and royalties. The McGuinness Flint 'Lo and Behold' famously even included the epic 'Sign On The Cross'
Notwithstanding the primitive recording setup of the earliest sessions, the hard left panned stereo which blighted the multi-disc (Dylan only) boot sets on Scorpio, white Bear etc, the utterly bizarre choice of material for the first 'Bootleg Series' box, the poorly selected, 'fiddled with' (and very flat) mix and master produced for the 1975 album (thanks Robbie!) .
We did eventually get to hear this stuff in a context and sound quality which does it some justice

·
Registered
207 Posts
On reflection I have actually seen video footage of the Band making music in Big Pink from this era in what appeared to be an improvised studio setting. However it wasn't the basement room I have seen in other photos. I haven't read up on the exact details as my interest is really in the personnel involved and the songs Bob was bringing at the time. In any case the vast difference between both the quality and the nature of the sound between various recordings, suggest that they were recorded in different settings with very different kit

·
Registered
171 Posts
On reflection I have actually seen video footage of the Band making music in Big Pink from this era in what appeared to be an improvised studio setting. However it wasn't the basement room I have seen in other photos. I haven't read up on the exact details as my interest is really in the personnel involved and the songs Bob was bringing at the time. In any case the vast difference between both the quality and the nature of the sound between various recordings, suggest that they were recorded in different settings with very different kit
The "Basement" is supposedly reallly a garage!!! Or a basementy-garage. We are talking rural New York here. But that's where the majority of the material was supposed to have been recorded, using the band's touring gear (same as on the 1966 live recordings) patched into a stereo tape recorder, which is why the quality is exceptional.

Some of the earlier material was recorded in an upstairs room before they settled on the basement/garage and possibly also at Dylan's house I think. That might be where the photos were taken.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts