Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

Boss, Digitech or Line6????

6K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  saulhudson 
#1 ·
Pls help me decide, I don't shred but play Distortion a lot like Floyd, Santana, Def Leppard, Metallica, Clapton, AC DC, Eagles, Creed, Coll Soul etc... Which one would you guys think is better, Line6 Ubermetal, Boss Metal Zone MT2, Digitech Metal Master or Digitech DF7. Thank you all very much..:thumb:

#2 · (Edited)
Think MFX..

For the metal sound, the MT2 is simply one of the best pedals ever made IMHO. From your list of pedals I only heard the digitechs and boss's though.

However, I'd recommend looking at the Zoom G9 (or the cheaper alt. G7), altough that is a MFX and might be more pricy than what you originally was looking for. It let's you have a lot of different dists within one pedal (since what you posted as reference band really has different sound) + it has some effects on it aswell. The G9 has two tubes on it also which add some warmth to it if you're not already using a tube amp. I was going to buy a Boss GT-8 but went with the G9 instead and it seems to way better than the Line6 Pod XTlive (from comparing them realtime).

#3 ·
When it comes to deciding things like this, it's really better to try them for yourself and let your own ear choose. Each one of these products here will get at least one vote from someone...so you're really back at square one. When you take time and really mess around with each product, eventually something will stand out to you and that's when you act on it.
Personally for the record, I'd say choose anything BUT Digitech products.....

#8 ·
The Metal Zone is simply fantastic for recreating Thrash Metal and REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, Heavy Metal. However, in all my experiences of using it I've gotten a real tingey sound that sounds really synthetic and ungenuine. You lose a lot of low end with this pedal, but I would suggest using the Boss Metal Core. This pedal has served me great for so long - with the built in EQ knobs I can tweak the sound to get nearly any tone I want, ranging from Super Heavy to Slightly Heavy to Just a Wee Bit Heavy. This might be great for you because I see from your list, Metallica and Creed are very different from Eric Clapton and Def Leppard.

#10 ·
I own the Line 6 Uber Metal, and it is a fairly solid pedal, though I retired it becaue I prefer band-specific gain that you can get with an EQ. It honestly shouldn;t be called Uber Metal, because as much metal settings as you can squeeze out of it, you can get some real old school sounds out of it too. It has three voicings, Metal, Insane...and...and...damn, what the hell was the last one...oh Pulverize, each one has a distinct tonal difference, for example, the Metal setting is good for old school Sabbath sounds. The Scoop knob does exactly what it implies, it scoops out the Mids. It also has a built in noise gate, which was good for me when I started 'cause I didn't have any noise gate, and I was descending into more distorted guitar riffs, and solos. So overall its a great pedal, can cover alot of different guitar tones, and its fairly cheap. Piece of advice though, get the 9v adapter 'cause it eats thru batteries fast as hell. Hope this helps.

#11 ·
My question is why do you want a metal sounding distortion when none of those bands are (by definition) metal? (Ok, AC/DC is)

For me the best destortion pedal on the market is the Krank. It's pretty much the only distortion pedal I've heard that really can make a small amp sound like a stack.

#19 ·
:icon_neut Hmm, I've used the XtLive direct to desk in my indie/classic rock duo for the last five years or so and have just changed to the Boss GT10?

They're all pretty much the same to be honest, some may have better gains or clean sounds but all have their own strengths and weakness's I think it's really down to the individual.:coolugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.