Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna get a VHT two twelve Fat-Bottom cab. What I am not sure about is what head to buy. I am cosnsidering either the Behringer V-TONE GMX1200H or the Behringer V-AMPIRE LX1200H....what are the pros and cons of either head? has anybody used either of these? Will these work well with this VHT 2X12 cab? Is the wattage and everything match up or whatever? Basicaly, I have always used combo amps and I am looking to get my first cab and head...so any info here will be a huge help! thank in advance.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I am only speaking from my experience here but I can tell you this, if you want a LOUD set up stick with the old school valve amps. my old marshall 50 valve head and a 100 watt cab was the loudest kit I had owned. all my amps untill then were transistor/mosfet. The fact of the matter is, the punch you get from real valves is unsurpassed. If you want an amp for tone and you are goiung to run it though pa back line then choose what you like. If you are going to use it un-mic'ed then choose something valve driven. They cost more for a reason, they really are the besty in show for a tactile responsive powerful amp.

Now I know that a lot of people will probably beg to differ but you stick a marshall 50 watt valve master 2 x 12" combo between any digital/transistor amps and I swear your tone and clarity will not only be better but louder.

6 years ago I bought a Marshall Poweramp - Valvestate Professional pro 120/120 and 2 sealed back JCM 900 1936 cabs. Now this amp was supposed to be 120 Watts per channel. My old amp, the 50 Watt combo, I sold to the other guitarist in the band. Guess who never got heard.. Me.

If you want a gigging amp that is not going to run through backline - go valve ... all the way. if you are running through backline, then get a good soundman and buy whatever takes your fancy :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I actually prefer to mic my rig live, so I rarely go bare onstage. Therefore, volume isn't my main concern...Actually both me and my other guitarist mic our gear in practice too, so I prefer to stick to that most of the time. I like the versatility that you can get from VHT gear, and I like the modeling features of the two Behringer heads. I am pretty much set in stone on the VHT cab for a multitude of reasons, I am just looking for a head that'll suit me. I figured with the modeling heads, I can make SOMETHING work. I kinda picked the Behringer ones because they are waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than anything else and seem to have decent features. Does anybody have any experience with either of these behringer heads, or anything like them?

edit: And no disrespect haha, but I actually would like to stay away from Marshall as much as possible...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i have played live through a v-ampire head and it worked great. ( i was filling in for a friend) it was connected to a peavey 4-12 bottom and it sounded great and was loud enough for me anyway. the important thing is to have the cabinet wired for the correct ohms to get the most out of the head. forget the mikes and use the direct out as it sounds great through a p.a. and monitors. i was sold right then and there. i love the modeling amps and now own 2 v-amp2 that i use live and a v-ampire 1-12 combo that i use for practice. my marshalls are collecting dust. i use 10 different rhythm and 5 different lead patches. try that with a marshall or boogie

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VHT is a lot like some of the boogie cabs, but the wiring is much simpler and I think they have a much better version of the same sound. I'll check out the ohm rating on the cab and head, that'll probably be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
if you use one cabinet it must be 4 ohms to get the full 120 watts. you can use a 8 ohm cab but the watts will be less. if you use 2- 8 ohm cabinets or have your one cabinet wired for stereo you can get 2 - 60 watt stereo outs. to get the most out of the amp it may be worth re-wiring your cabinet and actually isn't hard to do

1 - 6 of 6 Posts