Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing this series of Camel recordings, carrying on the 'Moonmadness' tour....

Apollo Theatre
Glasgow
UK

4th April 1976

Aud, B, 68min

This second recording from the spring 1976 UK 'Moonmadness' tour is, like the Liverpool recording from two days earlier, also a rough audience job. However this documents the complete show, the only recording from this tour to do so, and in somewhat better audio quality.

This is a rare recording, at least, not commonly traded. Sourced from a low-generation tape, I have transfered and mastered the recording. It is mono, grainy and hissy, but relatively undistorted, and all the instruments can
be heard clearly. So a worthwhile listen.

The third and final source for this tour is the 1976-04-14 Hammersmith Odeon, London concert, which was taped by the band, and songs from which have been officially released on various albums; 'A Live Record', and bonus tracks on 'Moonmadness', and Camel Productions have recently released video footage of nearly the complete show on their 'Moondances' DVD. The traded audio disc 'British TV 1976' is from a broadcast at the time of this concert.

1. Aristillus
2. Song Within A Song
3. The Great Marsh
4. Rhayader
5. Rhayader Goes To Town
6. Air Born
7. Chord Change
8. The White Rider
9. Lunar Sea
10. Preparation
11. Dunkirk
12. Another Night (encore)

Camel:
Andy Latimer: Guitars, Flute
Pete Bardens: Keyboards
Doug Ferguson: Bass
Andy Ward: Drums

·
Registered
242 Posts
I recorded this but its longer at 72/73 minutes. Someone must have edited all the shouting and swearing out at the breakdown of the gear lol

I also recorded them the following year but haven't mastered it to pc as it plays bad on my cassette machine.

·
Premium Member
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recorded this but its longer at 72/73 minutes. Someone must have edited all the shouting and swearing out at the breakdown of the gear lol

I also recorded them the following year but haven't mastered it to pc as it plays bad on my cassette machine.
That’s really a shame, would have made it a truly authentic Glasgow gig! ;- )

Did you actually compare this to yours, is it indeed from your tape?

·
Registered
242 Posts
That’s really a shame, would have made it a truly authentic Glasgow gig! ;- )

Did you actually compare this to yours, is it indeed from your tape?
No but you said it was the only complete one and mine is complete so I assume it is! A friend of mine put my tape on youtube you will find it there!

If yours is the one on the Glasgow Apollo live website then its mine!

·
Premium Member
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I rarely ever write a comment on or over existing linear notes, the case here is what your read was all there already.

There is about 18 seconds of pre-music crowd noise at the start, frankly I can't make out much of what is yelled despite having friends from/in the Highlands.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Let me know if you think its the same I don't know if this has the riot or not I didn't listen!

·
Premium Member
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Let me know if you think its the same I don't know if this has the riot or not I didn't listen!
That fan’s addition "dan's away to the bog" to the recording is missing or cut from this version.

Yours is a brighter presentation as well. This one here is coming in at 435MB, yours at 614MB.

Obviously this one is a higher generation as well as a different mastering job at the very least.

Thanks for putting yours up for comparison & enjoyment. If I had the wherewithal to split the tracks & provide an info file I would put yours up proper.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Its from the original tape that I done then copied to pc using a Canopus Pro a/d covertor box and yes I will have eq'd it.

I then transferred it from the original wav to the lowest compression flac file possible and uploaded it.

As far as I am concerned once you put a recording into the public domain it's no longer yours and as you don't have any rights to it you have no right to tell people what they can and cannot do with your recording so anyone out there can do whatever they like with it.

ANYTHING!

I will give the 77 one another go at some time.....I will try playing it on the original tape machine, because YES I actually still have it lol

I even sent a picture of it including the manual to Panasonic and they were fascinated by it lol

Looks like a GIANT sony Walkman!

Cheers Scottie!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts