Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I make the PODxt sound like my Spider II 112 \"Metal\" setting?

I just bought the Spider II 112...and I am dissapointed that it does NOT have an effects loop! That means I am stuck with the sparse effects. However, I LUV the metal setting...awesome live tone.

To get around the effects limitation, I was thinking of buying a PODxt and a good combo amp for practice. But here is the thing: Can I make the PODxt sound the same as my Spider II in a live situation? Specifically, can I use the cabinet emulation and plug directly into the PA and get that great "Metal" model sound?

Any help/opinion would be great guyz. I do not have tons of money so I wanna buy right if I can. I am playing a Jackson Soloist with stock EMG HZ's.

Thanks

===========
-Keith

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Can I make the PODxt sound like my Spider II 112 \"Metal\" setting?

Imma try out the PODxt Live today at GC (if they have one). I found the sound samples on the Line 6 web site sound a little thin, so I hope I will not be dissapointed. I will let you guyz know what I find.

=========
-Keith

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts

The PODxt is based on the Vetta and is way more versatile/better sounding than a Spider series amp. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all but keep in mind there is infinitely more tweaking involved with a podxt than a spider and you will need DAYS to really explore and hammer down your tones.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks stingx. I just picked up the PODxt live last nite and what you say seems exactly right. I have 7 days to return it so I am checking everything out.

My biggest issue was that PODxt sounds THIN compared to the Spider II. But I tweaked the output settings and found that when I select "Poweramp" instead of "Combo Amp", it sounds WAY hotter.

Also, I thought that it sounded horrible throgh the Spider II on the clean settings. Prolly because the Spider modeling is getting in the way of giving me dry sound. So I picked up a Fender FM212R (cheap, but loud) and it instantly sounded FATTER. More to follow...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have been reading and learning how to use the PODxt Live and found out a couple things that help make the tone FAT when I plug into my amp.

1. Set the output volume as high as possible. This is the slotted knob on the back of the unit.

2. If your amp has two inputs, select the one with lower sensitivity. I think this takes out more of your amp's pre amp.

3. If your amp has a power amp jack, plug into that. This completely bypasses the amp's pre amp. This is what I did and it sounds the BEST.

4. Set the POD's channel volume as high as possible without getting the clip indicator on the display. Use the amp volume to adjust the level after that.

5. Turn off the A.I.R. settings when you are playing through your AMP. Use the cabinet emulation, just not the mic settings. Those are for recording or going into a PA.

6. Set the "what are you connecting to?" to the one that sounds best. I use "Pwramp" since I am plugging into my amp's power amp input.

When I do these things, it sounds awesome. In fact, way better than the Spider II did. (Thanks stingx...you were right!). Until I tried this, the Spider was the best I had heard. That was why I bought it.

Hope this help some other folks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts