Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a the lead tone for the intro to the tv show Becker. I have a Flex 3 XL and a Fender Strat....Tex Special. I think that the pod tones will work as well.

Here is a sound clip of it....

·
Registered
165 Posts
It is a strat neck pickup sound to me. (Im not sure if its the mp3 or his tone but it sounds very metallic.) With my Line6 POD I'd go with the jcm 800 model and light gain. The tone has an open sound to it much like the 800 amp. A fender would be a little to warm, IMO.:jam:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Well, you have the strat...so I think your halfway there:thumb: Funny you mention this because I've never watched Becker and it was on today. When I heard the intro, I immediately thought "what a great tone", very SRVish. Now I see this post. Weird, how the world works sometimes, lol.
I have a POD 2.3 and GuitarPort but I think you should be able to get close using the bassman model, especially if you throw a tubescreamer in front of it.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
You think that's a neck PUP....I think is sounds more like the bridge.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya...SRV was what I was thinking too...It's a great tone and I would love to get something close to it. I will try your suggestions and see what I can come up with. If you guys figure it out post it atLine 6 costome tones and let me know. I think you guys have a little more play with the pods and this is why I am seriously thinking about getting one to go with my flex 3....Would it be worth it do ya think?

Hey guys thanks for listening and the input....:icon_peac

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I'm sure you can find something close on the Line 6 custom tone page under SRV.

If you go to that page, notice that my "Insane chunk" tone has been featured on the home page for about 3 weeks now with about 100 downloads.:thumb:

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Sounds like a 5 position switch Strat on the second position (the first out of phase position, where position one is the neck PU and the second click down is the first out of phase). Has that out of phase twang to it. Then I think add a little warmth as the sample is not overly saturated or compressed...think old Fender Princeton on 6 1/2. Anything Class A should be good. That's my guess.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I've often wondered about that tone myself . .and i think any fender strat and as 3fingers said class A fender tube amp cranked up with a little bit of natural fuzz .. hit the strings and play the licks HARD .. i think that's the secret to alot of those tones smashing the strings :)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Glad to see I wasn't the only one impressed by the tone and the playing on the theme and bumper music for Becker, whoever it is. The tone strikes me as being overdriven but not distorted, pretty much straight guitar and amp and nothing in between. Hard to say which Strat pickup or amp, though.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think it has a Sambora-ish tone when he used strats. Maybe uses a Marshall setting with a smidge of reverb and compression and back the gain off the amp setting too.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Classic valve amp tone with the gain backed off on the 4th position (out of phase neck pup/middle pup). Here's something similar I did using the 'Cold Shot' setting on the POD xt with a bit of reverb on the same position. Maybe just needs a bit more gain but not much.

:afro:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
micoyote1 said:
Ya...SRV was what I was thinking too...It's a great tone and I would love to get something close to it. I will try your suggestions and see what I can come up with. If you guys figure it out post it atLine 6 costome tones and let me know. I think you guys have a little more play with the pods and this is why I am seriously thinking about getting one to go with my flex 3....Would it be worth it do ya think?

Hey guys thanks for listening and the input....:icon_peac
Your flex 3 IS a POD xt mate...with speakers! Check the back and you'll see you can hook it up to your pc and do all the things we do except for the USB connectivity. :thumb:

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
wahwah said:
Classic valve amp tone with the gain backed off on the 4th position (out of phase neck pup/middle pup). Here's something similar I did using the 'Cold Shot' setting on the POD xt with a bit of reverb on the same position. Maybe just needs a bit more gain but not much.

:afro:
Man i could never get a tone like that out of my pod 2.0 .. does anyone have any good clean patches ? .. i've tried like hell to get a good clean sound out of it but it makes my ES335 sound like 50 buck yamaha single coil strat !

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wahwah,

Thats a nice tone....I think with a little tinkering that tone would be close. Did you creat that one or is it from costume tone? I do have my Flex hooked up to my PC, It just seems that you guys with the Pod XT's can make better tones than what I can get with the Flex. Seems that there are more amp models on the Pod XT...Just woundered if I would able to get better sounding or different types of tones with the PodXT.

Stiglar...Here are some clean tones you can try...might be one ya can use.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
thanks mate but they don't seem to work :(

it says they're made for felxtone III or something i only have a pod 2.0

thanks anyway though !

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought the Pod and the Flex tones were compatible with each other....??

90% of the tones I download are made by a pod....maybe when I download them it somehow converts it to file with a flextone .ext or something...:dunno: .

Any who all those tones are in the costume tone library and you can do a search and download them to your pod....sorry dude....wish I knew how to get them to ya and save ya a few steps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts