Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is loosley based on Pachel Bell's Canon in D that is best known for being played at weddings ;)

It is unfinished and I have a lot more to add. I added the slapback harmonics at the beginning only as an intro to this segment which will actually be near the end of the final score. The intro you hear here will not accompany this segment in the final score unless I figure a way to incorporate it into the final mix.

Comments and critique are welcomed :D

---Will

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
Nice start, I like it. One thing though, if you're going to layer a lot of guitars playing lines like a string section, you might want to back off on the distortion. If you listen closely to Brian May's God Save the Queen,( or anything where he really layers the guitars), you can tell the guitars invidually sound pretty thin and crappy, but together, it's a beautiful thing. Just make sure each guitar has it's own space.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Very cool :thumb:

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I posted up a new track. My fingers are sore as hell now, so taking a 24 hour break hehe.

The recording might be a bit rough. I don't have any good recording stuff. I'm going line-in to my cheap-o 16 bit soundcard and using and old version of CoolEdit for mixing and postwork. Timing is a little off in a few places but this is, simply, an experiment in composition at the moment.

Once I find a copy of Pachel Bell's "canon in D", I'll try to incorporate a little more into the score that will help the listener to better associate to it. ATM I'm composing this from my head, but I chose the key of C intentionally over D ;).

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Nandk and Slob.

Yeh, I went off a little bit at the end with the Tremelo, pick slides and some tapping. The tremelo dives and stuff, I probably couldn't replicate again if my life depended on it. LOL. Not exactly the same way anyhow. After listening to them recorded, I couldn't believe that I pulled them off so smoothly and flawlessly. I recorded them on a separate track so I cleaned it up a little at post edit, added the delay and it fit nice and cleanly into the mix. :laugh: I'm glad I saved it on a separate track as I may use it in my final production of this.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
nice rendition!.. i agree with rythameen, it would sound alot clearer and nicer if the guitar tone was alot cleaner... anyway, great job with this!..

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
i agree with whats been said already ,

did you record this with a click track at all ?

may have helped it get that ultra tight spot on feel that alot of the original cannons from the era have :thumb:

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No stiglar I didn't but I have been giving some thought to doing that since it is kinda difficult to keep the rythym in timing without something to guage by, audibly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts