Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
62,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Caravan - 1974-11-10 - Sausalito, CA
(FM broadcast FLAC)

Hard to believe that this was never upped here before but searching the Dimebot did not give any results.
Maybe it's as long ago as the old EZT days. If that is the case it's high time for a reseed.
Whatever it is, this is a must-have for all Canterburians:

CARAVAN
LIVE AT RECORD PLANT
FIRST AMERICAN TOUR

Probably recorded at the Record Plant, Sausalito, CA on November 10, 1974 (see notes below)
FM radio broadcast (?)

Lineage: Bootleg > ? > Trade CDR > EAC (secure) > FLAC (L8)

1. Announcement by radio dj
2. Memory Lain, Hugh
3. Headloss
4. For Richard
5. Band introduction / Virgin On The Ridiculous
6. Be All Right
7. Chance Of A Lifetime
8. The Love In Your Eye

Total time 1:05:40

Pye Hastings - Guitar & Vocal
Geoffrey Richardson - Viola, Guitar, Flute
Dave Sinclair - Keyboards
Mike Wedgwood - Bass & Vocal
Richard Coughlan - Drums

Notes:
The Ayanami bootleg artwork says this was recorded at the Record Plant on the 15th of October 1974. That date is most likely incorrect as that day they played in Columbus, OH. There were three Record Plant studios at that time, in New York City, in Los Angeles, and in Los Angeles. The authorative Calyx website lists in their Caravan chronology a live radio show in San Francisco on November 10, 1974. Since Sausalito is located directly across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco, I'm guessing there is a high possibility that the Record Plant in Sausalito actually is the place where this performance was recorded for a radio broadcast. The radio dj also confirms the Record Plant but does not mention a place.

https://rapidgator.net/file/3523590...an.1974-11-10.Sausalito.FLAC.by.TUBE.zip.html

mirror:
http://turbobit.net/x0bzx10wm8gu/Caravan.1974-11-10.Sausalito.FLAC.by.TUBE.zip.html

mirror:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/21pqf27zmq2x/n/Caravan.1974-11-10.Sausalito.FLAC.by.TUBE.zip

·
Registered
68 Posts
The November 10th 1974 date makes sense - KSAN- FM did a regular Sunday night live broadcast show from the Record Plant in Sausalito. And November 10 1974 was a Sunday.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The November 10th 1974 date makes sense - KSAN- FM did a regular Sunday night live broadcast show from the Record Plant in Sausalito. And November 10 1974 was a Sunday.
I am the original uploader at Dime. Folks over there also agreed to my conclusions. One even recognized the radio dj's voice. So there is no doubt that this is from KSAN-FM.

The only thing that still puzzles me is that they played at Ebbet's Field in Denver, CO the following night. That is a distance of 1200+ miles. Assuming they had to travel by bus they must have hit the road within a very short time after the show, sleeping during the bus ride, to arrive in Denver just in time for the soundcheck.

By the way, the Denver show was also recorded for a radio broadcast.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, Propylaen2001! We've "met" before, I think...good to "see" you again...

I grew up in the Bay Area....so I have a possible solution. While KSAN usually broadcast the shows live, as they happened at the Record Plant, I know of a few shows where they pre-recorded the show earlier in the day, or on another day entirely, and then broadcast the show in the Sunday night slot (which, if I remember correctly was Sunday 10:00 and was sponsored by Pacific Stereo.)

So, it's possible that Caravan had a few more hours to make that drive...or even an extra day. I checked a map online, and these days they're saying it's an 18 hour drive! Which would be pretty rough on a group.

I'm going to download this...I'll let you know if I recognize the DJ. "Big Daddy" Tom Donahue did a lot of these broadcasts. BTW, if you like the KSAN shows the recent posting here of that 1971 Commander Cody show is very good.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi, Propylaen2001! We've "met" before, I think...good to "see" you again...

I grew up in the Bay Area....so I have a possible solution. While KSAN usually broadcast the shows live, as they happened at the Record Plant, I know of a few shows where they pre-recorded the show earlier in the day, or on another day entirely, and then broadcast the show in the Sunday night slot (which, if I remember correctly was Sunday 10:00 and was sponsored by Pacific Stereo.)

So, it's possible that Caravan had a few more hours to make that drive...or even an extra day. I checked a map online, and these days they're saying it's an 18 hour drive! Which would be pretty rough on a group.

I'm going to download this...I'll let you know if I recognize the DJ. "Big Daddy" Tom Donahue did a lot of these broadcasts. BTW, if you like the KSAN shows the recent posting here of that 1971 Commander Cody show is very good.
Hi there, yes we met before.
I checked back at Dime. The guy I mentioned before identified the radio dj KSAN-FM's Phil Charles, who by the way passed away earlier this month.
It can be taken for sure that they played the Keystone in Berkeley the before, on November 9, according to this website: http://britrockbythebay.blogspot.de/2011/05/caravan-november-1974.html
Nevertheless, I'd appreciate if you could make any further investigations.

And thanks for mentioning Commander Cody, I'll check them out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's Phil Charles (as you pointed out...and he actually says his name right at the start of the show so there's no doubt about it at all...) so that means this is definitely the Record Plant in Sausalito.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi there, yes we met before.
I checked back at Dime. The guy I mentioned before identified the radio dj KSAN-FM's Phil Charles, who by the way passed away earlier this month.
It can be taken for sure that they played the Keystone in Berkeley the before, on November 9, according to this website: http://britrockbythebay.blogspot.de/2011/05/caravan-november-1974.html
Nevertheless, I'd appreciate if you could make any further investigations.

And thanks for mentioning Commander Cody, I'll check them out.
ooops...that should read "...in Berkeley the night before..."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts