Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Megadeth-Vortex-Evolving

(New version of the song is on Page 4 of this thread. )

Hello,

Here's a rough version of Megadeth's Vortex. A lot of details still need to come into place.
I'm in the process of getting all the guitar parts flowing more naturally until it totally gels. I feel like I'm getting there, but would like some opinions in the meantime.

I have not yet tackled the Marty Friedman solo, so there's only rythm on that spot. If it's feasable, I will get it down, otherwise I will improvise my own stuff.

I also left out the outtro, as it's a pretty intricate Mustaine rythm part (what else is new?) and I didn't want to make an ass of myself having you listen to all my clams.

Please enjoy, and feel free to comment if you know the song and know Megadeth's style.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rythameen. I know it's a far cry from blues.
The thing is, at my age, I still have not settled down and have no intention on doing so anytime soon! :lol:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Hello,

Here's a rough version of Megadeth's Vortex. A lot of details still need to come into place.
I'm in the process of getting all the guitar parts flowing more naturally until it totally gels. I feel like I'm getting there, but would like some opinions in the meantime.

I have not yet tackled the Marty Friedman solo, so there's only rythm on that spot. If it's feasable, I will get it down, otherwise I will improvise my own stuff.

I also left out the outtro, as it's a pretty intricate Mustaine rythm part (what else is new?) and I didn't want to make an ass of myself having you listen to all my clams.

Please enjoy, and feel free to comment if you know the song and know Megadeth's style.

Pretty impressive, especially if you figured it by ear. It has been a while since I have heard that song but I think there were few, if any, mistakes. The tone could use some work though, maybe too much gain; the chops aren't choppy enough and I don't think it is your playing that is the prob.

Are you working with a BT or did you do the whole thing? Good luck on the solo :lol: Friedman is just too insain to follow.

Have you heard the new album btw? I think Kick the Chair is pretty damn good. Tears in a Vial also. I liked the first song, but it seems to kind of just keep going and looses its umph...especially the lyrics. I am glad to see Mustain come back though, I have similar hassles with my arm.

I always thought it would be fun to invite Mustain out to jam and fight. Might be interesting to be able to tell people I got a crooked nose from Dave.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Yeah I like that..you were great in my opinion, I didn't hear and timing or rhythm problems...well executed and good tone.:icon_peac

The only reason I don't cover Megadeth is because I can't play solos like Marty Friedman! That guy is a badass mofo! I can play the rhythm parts to alot of Deth tunes but thats it.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Well, I recon I am someone who can give you some accurate feedback on this tune, as it is one of my very fave Megadave songs and my favorite song from Cryptic Writings. This CD has been in and out of my car CD player multiple times the past two weeks so no need for review of the original on my part. :)

Overall, I give you the :thumbup: , particular since you stated this is a work in progress and will be polished and molded and reposted over time. Your playing is coming along great and I don't anticipate too much more polishing necessary on the rhythm guitar work (with the exception of the ending which you stated you haven't got to yet). That whole outro guitar is definitely whacked out in timing, and I imagine would require a lot of focused attention and practice. It is the best part of the song in my opinion, but probably the hardest part of the rhythm guitar work. I look forward to hearing that part.

As for the leads......good luck! ;) As you know, Marty is a monster player and this lead is no exception. My hat's off to you if you can replicate it.

I think that my only constructive criticism is perhaps the tone/mix on the guitars. It sounds a bit too out front currently. I am no sound engineer master, so I can't really offer any specific suggestions for improvement (I normally just fiddle with my tone knobs for a bit until I get something close enough to what I want, so I can't offer anything specific, except a guess that maybe a little less mid might help). I also wonder if it might sound fuller to record the rhythm guitar tracks twice and pan them a bit to the right and left....kind of thicken it up a bit. :dunno:

Anyway, this is off to a great start, Ben! Please keep me posted on your progress or if you post an updated version.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nroberts said:
Pretty impressive, especially if you figured it by ear. It has been a while since I have heard that song but I think there were few, if any, mistakes. The tone could use some work though, maybe too much gain; the chops aren't choppy enough and I don't think it is your playing that is the prob.

Are you working with a BT or did you do the whole thing? Good luck on the solo :lol: Friedman is just too insain to follow.

Have you heard the new album btw? I think Kick the Chair is pretty damn good. Tears in a Vial also. I liked the first song, but it seems to kind of just keep going and looses its umph...especially the lyrics. I am glad to see Mustain come back though, I have similar hassles with my arm.

I always thought it would be fun to invite Mustain out to jam and fight. Might be interesting to be able to tell people I got a crooked nose from Dave.
Good points.
I'm using a backing track.
Yes, the tone is problematic. I will record the whole thing over once I nail everything.
I used a Tab on the net. Incredibly accurate. In fact I realized I did omit a short triplet in one of the parts and have been correcting it since when practicing.
I've been playing this so much I feel that my hair is turning red now. :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Riff Addict said:
Yeah I like that..you were great in my opinion, I didn't hear and timing or rhythm problems...well executed and good tone.:icon_peac

The only reason I don't cover Megadeth is because I can't play solos like Marty Friedman! That guy is a badass mofo! I can play the rhythm parts to alot of Deth tunes but thats it.

Gosh, I hear you, man. Freidman is an animal. This is why I might just screw it and write my own solo instead...

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kc_artist_rocker said:
Well, I recon I am someone who can give you some accurate feedback on this tune, as it is one of my very fave Megadave songs and my favorite song from Cryptic Writings. This CD has been in and out of my car CD player multiple times the past two weeks so no need for review of the original on my part. :)

Overall, I give you the :thumbup: , particular since you stated this is a work in progress and will be polished and molded and reposted over time. Your playing is coming along great and I don't anticipate too much more polishing necessary on the rhythm guitar work (with the exception of the ending which you stated you haven't got to yet). That whole outro guitar is definitely whacked out in timing, and I imagine would require a lot of focused attention and practice. It is the best part of the song in my opinion, but probably the hardest part of the rhythm guitar work. I look forward to hearing that part.

As for the leads......good luck! ;) As you know, Marty is a monster player and this lead is no exception. My hat's off to you if you can replicate it.

I think that my only constructive criticism is perhaps the tone/mix on the guitars. It sounds a bit too out front currently. I am no sound engineer master, so I can't really offer any specific suggestions for improvement (I normally just fiddle with my tone knobs for a bit until I get something close enough to what I want, so I can't offer anything specific, except a guess that maybe a little less mid might help). I also wonder if it might sound fuller to record the rhythm guitar tracks twice and pan them a bit to the right and left....kind of thicken it up a bit. :dunno:

Anyway, this is off to a great start, Ben! Please keep me posted on your progress or if you post an updated version.
Awesome piece of advice, KC. You speak like a true Deth fan, my friend!
I feel that the band has lost a lot when Friedman left. I just don't get the direction he's going to.
I have the outtro tabbed, but it's a mofo to get the notes to fit right. It will take time and I'm sure that it will click at some point.
I did double the track and panned it L end R, but not very wide.
I'll play with that too, and maybe add a post effect like a chorus on one of the sides for instance, to see if it gives it an interesting dimension.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
I feel that the band has lost a lot when Friedman left. I just don't get the direction he's going to.
I agree...... the Marty Freidman/Nick Menza rendition of Megadeth was the most powerful, in my opinion, for what I like. Not sure if you are referring to Marty or Dave regarding the direction that you don't dig? I don't keep up on Megadeth news or Website gossip, but I can't help but think that, if you are referring to what direction Marty is going in, it is probably just any direction away from MegaDave! I would never, ever want to be in a band with Dave Mustaine (not that I possess the skills to deserve a spot like that :icon_redf ), particularly if I were someone like Marty who is extremely talented and can hold his own (and who also seems like a genuinely nice and respectful guy). I am a fan of Dave's songwriting and guitar playing, but he seems like a really self-centered cock-smoke to collaborate with on creative efforts. It is my understanding (which may be incorrect) that Megadeth was engaged in group therapy prior to the split :)dunno: ). My guess is that this was driven by a desire to keep an incredible line-up together while dealing with Mustaine's inflated sense of self-importance and any other addictive personality tendencies and temper/control-freak issues that caused problems for the band as a whole.

If my impression of the situation is way out of whack, and you (or whoever reading this) have information to the contrary, please feel free to set the story straight. These are just my impressions that i got from watching the "Behind the Music" episode on Megadeth. One story that stuck in my mind from that episode (and I've mentioned this in another thread at one time) is how Mustaine described the story of how Dave Ellefson "got into the band." Those were his words. There was no Megadeth before those two got together, yet Mustaine made it sound like he let Ellefson into his band, as opposed to telling the story of how the two Daves formed the band together. That really turned me off about Mustaine and his self-imposed sense of ego. :thumbsdow

Anyway, I am bordering on thread-hijacking here, so I'll step off now. :toothless

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KC,

I agree that Mustaine is a very troubled person. This is precisely whay his music is so amazing sometimes. You just have to take him as he is and stay the fuck away when he goes in psycho mode. :lol:
Kidding aside, I have respect for him, regardless of what's being said, but I miss Nick Menza and Elefson and Marty.
On the other hand, Dave sounds happy with his current lineup. Seems like DM's addiction got transfered to being a Christian. That's what happened to my guitar teacher. He was a raging user and now he's gung-ho on religion... I wonder if they're a pattern here...

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Whoa! I didn't realize that Elefson was gone too. I figured he was a lifer.

Why didn't he just re-name it as a new band? :dunno:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
I feel that the band has lost a lot when Friedman left.
As a long time fan I had a hard time dealing with it when Friedman came IN. Megadeth music started changing drastically at that point, but I don't think it was necessarily all because of Friedman though I think he probably did a lot to alter the way music went in that band. I think Peace Sells will always be my favorite Megadeth lineup; the original Megadeth in other words. Friedman was always too technical for me. He was really good, don't get me wrong, but I liked his predicessors better for Megadeth even if they might not have been as classically trained.

Bringing Poland back was a great move in my opinion. Friedman always wanted to do other things anyway.

Here is an interesting interview with Poland: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=35868

·
Registered
610 Posts
Awesome job CC. I loved the playing and your tone.:thumb: I agree with KC about your guitar a little too out front. Fool around with the panning of the 2 guitar tracks. That should help.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kc_artist_rocker said:
Whoa! I didn't realize that Elefson was gone too. I figured he was a lifer.

Why didn't he just re-name it as a new band? :dunno:
Mustaine disolved the band after having his hand go limp for months (Saturday night palsy). He even sold ALL is guitars, because he had gone broke. He recovered, and went on forming a new band. I think he wanted to call it Dave Mustaine but owed his record company a Megadeth record. I think it's the short version of a more complicated story. Ellefson sued him in the meantime and Nick Menza wasn't fit enough to play anymore apparently.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Well...I don't know Megadeath songs and know nothing about the band so, I can only comment on your playing, CC.....and it rocked!!!:woot: This style of rhythm work is not easy by any means....and you nailed it!!!:jam: Well done!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts