Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to learn this song. It's a piece of work but I'm getting close.

Tell me what you think of it so far...

You can scroll up to 1 minute, as the beginning is the backing track.

I'll have to find a smoother tone, as I feel this one is a bit too heavy for the song.

Feedback is welcome. :D

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks buzz. I still feel it's too strong though.

I try to play as close to the original as possible, while improvising on the parts I don't have down pat. As I progress, I'll record the whole thing over until I can nail it.

This is important to me to try and play it note-for-note. I usually don't care about these things so much, but this is Randy Rhoads we're talking about. Musicians don't screw with Bach or Vivaldi's compositions—same goes for RR IMO.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Great track!!!! Yes, I think getting Randy down note for note is a total rush too. It teaches one an important lessons about having that beautiful lilting quality in ones solos. I just adore that spooky little riff immediately following that trill section in the original. I could be wrong but in the main riff for the song I believe randy does a pull-off from the E sharp to the open E before going back to the D. Also I agree on the tone situation. You have a great tone there but it sounds more like KK Downings than Randy's.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
strat78 said:
Great track!!!! Yes, I think getting Randy down note for note is a total rush too. It teaches one an important lessons about having that beautiful lilting quality in ones solos. I just adore that spooky little riff immediately following that trill section in the original. I could be wrong but in the main riff for the song I believe randy does a pull-off from the E sharp to the open E before going back to the D. Also I agree on the tone situation. You have a great tone there but it sounds more like KK Downings than Randy's.
You are so on the money with your comment about KK Downing's tone. That's what I had in mind!!! :eek:

Randy was a master of solos that are songs within the song. I have vowed to do him justice... :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mondola said:
Bloody hell, CD ! Randy is looking down with a wry little smile. This is great stuff, I love the playing. The runs are brilliant. You can tell you have spent time trying to nail this. Sounds great here !

I agree with Ej, the dual guitars sound excellent !

:rock:
Thank you Mondola. I certainly have spent a good deal of time and I probably shouldn't have posted it yet, but I needed encouragement to continue. This is my holy grail, you see? I will not rest until I nail this song.

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
:icon_evil Fantastic job Ben!!!:icon_evil ..Killa tone hun!:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ericgtr said:
Very cool, man that tone is very close what exactly did you use? Excellent job CC! :rock:
This is a tone I cooked up to do Iron Maiden's The Wicker Man, and played through my Epi Les Paul. It's a bit too hot. Maybe it will sound good if I just take the drive down a few notches. I think it's a JCM800 with compression and reverb. I'll have to get back to the POD and read the data off it to be sure.

Thanks for the feedback, peeps. :D

·
Axe Grinding Guitarist
3,114 Posts
Awesome job CC! I nevewr gave this tune a whirl myself yet. Sounds great on what ya have done so far man! Hats off to ya for trying a hard tune! wtg again!:rock: :rock: :icon_thum I like your tone as well! That's just the pod 2.0 itself? wow.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Wow CC!! I think it's damn good!! Tone and all!! (perhaps a bit too "brown" for Randy's tone if any criticism at all...he has a certain tone that an MXR Distortion+ gives). Killer playing though!! I would say your right on top of it!! "Now keep on smokin them.... :sssh: "notes" !!!! :rock:

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
This was killa CC, awesome job!! :icon_thum :icon_thum

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Yay! I can finally download certain files...my Windows Media Player is playing up :mad:.

Nice work CC...sorry it took so long to reply. I'd just say that your sorta clipping the end of the runs making it a bit regimental...maybe want to loosen up a bit on the rythm. Solo sounded great and I think the tone is good but maybe needs a bit more umphhh. Randy had quite a dirty tone to my ears. Loved the twins also...what panning did you have? 25% - 75%?

Good work mate-hope my comments help in any way. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wahwah said:
Yay! I can finally download certain files...my Windows Media Player is playing up :mad:.

Nice work CC...sorry it took so long to reply. I'd just say that your sorta clipping the end of the runs making it a bit regimental...maybe want to loosen up a bit on the rythm. Solo sounded great and I think the tone is good but maybe needs a bit more umphhh. Randy had quite a dirty tone to my ears. Loved the twins also...what panning did you have? 25% - 75%?

Good work mate-hope my comments help in any way. :thumb:
I agree with your comments on the rythm. I'm not that comfortable with it yet. I was very tense because I knew how loud I was in the mix and got red-light fright. I'll be working on that for sure.

The solos are becoming part of me by now, the more I work them. I fill up the parts I don't know with wanking and will replace that properly as I learn the rest of the runs.

There's somehting about the tone I don't like. Maybe I should try to double my rythms parts or at least duplicate the track and apply an effect to the mirrored track to widen the sound. I don't know.

For the dual guitar mix, it sounded different at home than it sounds now on the mp3. I'm not satisfied with it either so it will change again.

Thanks for the constructive comments, Wahwah. I know I can always count on you for these... :thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts