Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just want to record my ideas (riff, solos, etc) on something cheap and something that's decent. any suggestions.

Thanks,God Bless

P.S. Whats an 8 track recorder?

·
Musician
450 Posts
the rar files in there don't work. says its missing one of them

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
rich2k4 said:
Not sure what to tell you....worked perfectly for me...and many others.:icon_thum

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
rich2k4 said:
The problem, in this case, may lie between the seat and the keyboard... :notme:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I started out with a 4 track cassette recorder. You still can't go wrong with those if you just want to record yourself practicing or to demo a song. Now you can get the digital versions that give you some effects and built in drum machines etc... Check out versions by Fostex, Tascam. If you want to go cheap and portable that is the way to go.

You asked what an 8 track recorder is. Well what I mentioned is a 4 track. Meaning you can record 4 seperate parts to be played back at once. So you could have drums on 1, bass on 2, guitar on 3 and a solo on 4. So an 8 track would give you 8 parts. Also keep in mind that stereo uses 2 tracks. So if you wanted to record a keyboard that had a left and right out, you would use tracks 1 and 2 on the recorder with 1 panned to the left and 2 panned to the right to give you the stereo image. That might sound confusing but it is east to understand once you get working with a recorder.

An 8 track is going to cost alot more. If you just want to demo stuff, get a 4 track.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I use my mp3 player to "sketch" then use the laptop and KRYSTAL to finish it
it comes out pretty good for no money

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Guitarzone said:
Cubase SE is nice and only about $99..
It's an excellent package, I have the cracked SX2 and I decided to buy into Cubase for the support. SE does more than enough for what a typical home user will endeavor into. Nice upgrade path if you ever do decide you need more horsepower. SE was well worth the $$$. Very stable and works with all my VSTi and DXi plugins.

Also, if you have any of the supported M-Audio hardware, you may wish to look into Pro Tools M-Powered. For $240 USD you get full blown Pro Tools with a ton of included RTAS plugins.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
diamondaveroth said:
Hi, I just want to record my ideas (riff, solos, etc) on something cheap and something that's decent. any suggestions.

Thanks,God Bless

P.S. Whats an 8 track recorder?
Get a computer; if you are just doing a track or two at once it shouldn't require a real monster so maybe you can get something cheap and "old" or maybe you have one. I don't know that anything less than 800Mhz or so is going to be much use. Then you have a few options including Linux with Ardour or Windows with Audacity. Either one will do the trick for a basic digital recorder. Ardour might actually be major overkill for what you need. They are both free except that Windows is not. Then you just have to figure out how you are going to connect to the PC. You need line-level input so a mixer or a pre-amp of some sort. If you have a Line6 POD XT you can hook it up to your usb and use it like a sound card. Or if you have something else that is not USB compat. you can rig up a converter and plug it into the input on the soundcard.

That is but one way of doing what you want. There are of course always alternatives including the dirt cheap and icky mini tape recorder sitting by the amp.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
aye seems you are right. have you tried pm'ing bluesplayer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cubase SE is an excellent choice. I have a lot of experience with it and it is very user friendly.

if you are just recording riffs and ideas, i would suggest a 4-track Tascam portastudio however. i used one for years for the same purpose that you have.

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
Whether you get a software solution or hardware multitracker, I suggest you go with as much as your budget will allow, you may not use all the bells and whistles now, but you will.................believe me you will.:icon_thum

1 - 15 of 15 Posts