Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having my own signature guitar made by a local luthier. I went there to choose the woods and explain every detail about the guitar today. Here are some pics of the woods. That's me holding the body in the pic. :D It is a 2 piece alder body, and the neck woods are both maple.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
that's really cool! If you don't mind me asking, how much does doing something like that (having a custom guitar built) cost?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This thing is only going to cost me a 1000 €. So it's way cheaper than buying a new American Fender here in Finland at least. The luthier who is building the guitar is luckily a really cool guy, he seems more interested in seeing someone happy with their new instrument than making money.

The main reason for me to have this thing made is because no factory made guitar has everything I want in my strat. Most Fenders have too tiny frets, unsuitable neck profiles, wrong types of pickups for me and all kinds of stuff that really doesn't work for me.

My guitar teacher had a guitar made by the same guy and it came out really nice, so now that I got a job and I wanted a strat, I figured I'd just get one I would be happy with from the start.

The only Fender model that had even close to the specs I wanted was the YJM model which costs like 2000€ here, and even that one has stuff I really don't want in my guitar. :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
T-Vir said:
The only Fender model that had even close to the specs I wanted was the YJM model which costs like 2000€ here, and even that one has stuff I really don't want in my guitar. :D

I know how it goes! If there were some way I could combine these guitars I'd be very happy!

-Jeff Beck Strat
-Malmsteen Strat
-Fender Showmaster Standard
-G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow

Is that too much to ask?!?!? haha :D :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
SemiShred said:
scallopped with dimarzio yjm's ?

Yeah, but with the Beck trem/nut system, and the standard body with a possible semi-hollow! :bowdown: :bowdown: :icon_thum

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The guy sent me some pictures of the guitar, it's coming along nicely.

In the first one you can see that the body is all rounded up and the countours are made, also the neck and bridge pickup routs are now humbucker sized for improved versatility.

The second one shows the body before rounding and the roughed out neck with the truss-rod already installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
That looks great man!! I'd love to have custom built guitar myself, but it's all to expensive (at least for an unemployed student like me :toothless ). I must say though, a thousand bucks sounds affordable even for me, does your guy have a homepage I could check out?

Congrats on the guitar dude! :thumb:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pickups will be Dimarzio VirtuAL 2's in the middle and neck, and a Virtual Vintage Solo in the bridge. No special wiring is planned (except that the tone controls will be for the neck and bridge pickup individually).

I really not sure if my luthier would like me to give out his info here, since he doesn't really advertise anywhere, and he really doesn't do it for a living. The only reason I even know that he does custom work is because my teacher told me about him, since he has a custom Firebird that the guy made.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I figure that with the Wilkinson Vintage tremolo and the locking tuners I should be able to use the trem a bit without going out of tune.

I can't believe how fast this is going, if he keeps it up I should have the guitar in no time. He did say that the finishing is the most time consuming part of building a guitar.

·
Shredding it up!!!
1,181 Posts
dude thats a nice axe, it's looking good even without it being finished!!!

Keep us up-dated

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.