Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This song is poorly named, because there's a lot going on in this song - about four separate sections with different tempos and styles. The backing track was modified from a midi file; I just played guitars. The bass part would have been easy to play, but I actually liked the fretless bass sound on this so I kept it for now. Apologize for the length (and the low bitrate) but there's a cool hammond solo in it too.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
bloody hell this is some undertaking mate. respect! I don't know the original tune but I remember the guitarist from Camel was very tasty. Great playing and nice to hear clean tones here for a change. :thumb:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well Done.
I thought it was great. :thumb:

I thought I might be the first to post a Camel tune on this site but I have not gotten around to it yet.
Chord Change is a little tricky for my stubby little slow moving fingers anyway.

Camel are my favourite band ( I have every one of their albums) and Andy Latimer is my favourite guitar player.
Just wish I could get round to playing some of his stuff......some of the less tricky pieces maybe. :woot:

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow, excellent work! Never heard of Camel either. I thought it had sort of an Allman Brothers feel to it.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
I'm another one who's never heard of this band!!:doh: But after listening to this, I gotta check them out. This is a fantastic production, bro!!! Awesome job!!!:jam:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the nice comments. Camel has been a favorite band of mine for a long time, but they aren't real well known. They've been releasing albums over the last 30 years and the guitarist, Andy Latimer, tends to be more melodic than flashy, but the song arrangements can be challenging and sound cool. Doing this song made me realize some of my limitations as a guitarist, but I still have another Camel cover I am working on and hope to post it soon.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I like this very much!!,,,, although I have never heard the band it has a -YES- ring to it at the beginning.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Sling, the Yes comparison isn't too far off. Camel started around the time that Close to the Edge or Tales of Topographic Oceans came out. They're considered a prog rock band by a lot of people, although musically they're not quite as complex as Yes and their songs tend to be a lot shorter. The other song I'm working on is probably even more Yes-like, but overall, Camel does have their own sound.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
cool i've never heard of camel ,

this sounds pretty intense !

some tough timing in there you did well !

nice work :)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Stig. It was fortunate that the midi file worked as a good backing track. It took quite a while to learn the lead guitar parts and some of it is kind of sloppy compared to the Camel version, but this was a good way to work on refining and improving my capabilities. Appreciate all the comments and listens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts