Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sup yall? I have been working on a cover of Cinnamon girl (Niel Young) and have a preliminary version of it available for download. At this point I am primarily intersted in what you all think of the guitar tone. I was trying as hard as I could to replicate Neil's totally over distorted-blown-out-speakers-with-bad-tubes amp sound that he used to get when he played with crazy horse. Lemme know what you think....,.

Once again, the tone is courtesy of the Cyber Twin utilizing a feature it has called the Resolver that can make your amp sound like its completely fried.
PS I call the setting for this one "Niel's PhUkT aMp" hehehehehe

PSS: I'll be looking for a singer for this one in the near future.........
PSSS: Yeah - I worked on the solo for this for WEEKS before I could get it right..... ;)
Rj

Here's the link:
Cinnamon Girl - Rj Style (Incomplete)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Just going from memory that tone sounds pretty close. It's interesting that guitarists today try to recapture those sounds from the old days when a guitarist probably only had an amp or two available to record with - those amps just happened to make great sounds without trying. The production work sounds really good on this cover, it's well-balanced and mixed. If you get a vocalist, it should drop in easily over top.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
This sounded killa!! :icon_thum :icon_thum

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know what kind of amps NY used back then - perhaps I could research it and find out. But I have always loved that absolutely raw, shredded, over modulated, grungy ass tone he got with whatever amp he was using.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
same here mate. Neil Young is a great artist. He switches between out and out grunge to beautifully crafted acoustic numbers and he is a fantastic storyteller into the bargain. But I digress ...

This is pretty much spot on imo. I love the tones and the playing. Funny thing is, No matter how heavy this songs backing is - the melody always cuts through beautifully :thumb:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kills me is the "one note solo" in this tune. Nothing could be simpler, and yet anything else would be too much. It takes great musical talent to pull something like that off and make it so damn cool at the same time! NY has been a favorite of mine for many years. When people ask me how I learned to play guitar I often tell them that "Niel Young taught me how to play - he just dosen't know it........."

And yeah - his acoustic bits are the best. When I was learning to play all I had was an acoustic so I started out by learning a lot of his acoustic pieces. Later on I "graduated" to electric by rigging a pickup from an electric guitar into the sound hole of my acoustic guitar, and then ran that to my stereo through an old MXR distortion box heheheheh I used to drive my parents nutts with that! My dad used to say "We bought you an acoustic to learn to play music on - now all you do is make a god awfull racket!" LOL those were the days.

Lata!

Rj

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heheheh ok - that was stupid. I pressed the Thank You button, and ended up thanking myself for this thread hehehehe Ok - well at least I kno what its for now. What I meant to say was thank you for all of your kind comments! :)

Later on today I plan to re-do that song and double-dub all of the parts including the lead section. I just noticed at OLGA that this song is played with the guitar tuned to modal D - mine was tuned to standard pitch.... So maybe I will try that too and see how it sounds.

Lata dewdz!

Rj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.