Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the Pod XT Live and the Boss GT6 on-line. I am playing a 1970's Rick through a SWR California Blonde amp. I am really wanting a processor that will yield me solid clean tones for jazz and blues style. Ideally I would like the processor to double for some good acoustic guitar effects also. Oh and because I want it all.....having a processor with the ability to rock out when needed would be outstanding also (I know...I want it all). Any of you guys out there have any thoughts and/or suggestions about where I should be looking? More then anything I want a clean (buzz free) output. I currently own a Boss CE-20 Chorus Ensemble pedal which I am a little unhappy with due to the buzz background noise. Thanks to all who share their suggestions.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
well - this is a bit of a tough one. Most multi fx units these days come with amp sims as standard and are really best used direct into a PA or a flat response amp like a keyboard amp. They do work well with trad amps but require a bit of work to sound "unprocessed".

The xtlive and the gt6/gt8/gt-pro are good units,designed for a live scenario. if you are not going to be playing live then consider the pod II or even the boss GS-10. Both have good fx, but the boss probably is nearer what you want because it emulates classic boss stomp boxes. both units have footswitch add on capabilities. also check out the Behringer V-Amp2.

it really does depend on what you want to use it for.

boss GS-10 http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=129
podII http://www.line6.com/productDetail.html?model=4

It is never easy choosing so try them all out. there are loads more units that are very cool too. Vox, Digitech etc make very good multifx units. Have fun testing them at your nearest music shop mate :thumb:

·
Registered
425 Posts
The POD has a Roland Jazz Chorus, which has a really awesome clean tone; great for jazz. No problem rocking out with the POD either! :rock: :devilchil

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
My POD XT Live seems to go from a beutifull clean to insainly dirty to, "Is that a guitar?" It ain't no tube amp, but it comes pretty close sometimes.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Hey Koo.

I used to own a Behringer V-amp2. Don't let the price fool you...it's a fantastic guitar processor, and I used it on recordings here for vocals early on..it can do acoustic guitar. If you want it all, no matter which processor (POD XT, V-amp2), you might just want to do what I did and get a Berhringer 4 channel mixer (to use as preamp) and buy an SM-57. You will one day want to mic that amp and you can do vocals out of it and I use is exclusively for acoustic guitar stuff. Then I think you maximize your abilities recording-wise.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
wahwah said:
If this helps, I got this tone out of a POD xt. :jot:
Man, those notes just pop like dancing raindrops on the window sill.....:smirk:

I think they should start a show like "Trading Spaces" except, it would be called somthing like "Trading Guitar Gear" where two guitarists depart from their own setup and go play on someone else's for a week. That would be sweet. I love my setup, but I can't sound like that with my stuff. :dunno:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Tompetty said:
Can you post the patch pleeeeeez:toothless
Sadly, I lost it when I did a upgrade on my xt :irk: BUT I have something similar...I'll try and dig it out. There's a 5 page thread about it somewhere! You'll need a cheap strat to get that tone also...or an Ib with single coils.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
kc_artist_rocker said:
Man, those notes just pop like dancing raindrops on the window sill.....:smirk:

I think they should start a show like "Trading Spaces" except, it would be called somthing like "Trading Guitar Gear" where two guitarists depart from their own setup and go play on someone else's for a week. That would be sweet. I love my setup, but I can't sound like that with my stuff. :dunno:
I'm a firm believer that the gear won't make you sound like somebody...I say it all the time but the tone is in the fingers. The gear helps obviously if you're in the same ballpark but, in the end, everybody plays differently and this will reflect on the tone that comes out at the end. Just my two cents. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Just how "clean" is your SWR Cali amp? I havent heard / played through one, so I dont know. It would seem to me that the tone of a processor (no matter which kind) will be colored by the overall tone of your amp. (Which can be a good thing - dont get me wrong.) However if you are looking for a really super clean tone, and your amp can't do that on its own, then you may find yourself displeased with a guitar processor.

I have a Fender Power Chorus here, which is a transistorized amp, but it has an absolutely crystal clear clean channel. I would love to hear a POD or other similar unit through that.

Rj

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
California Blonde

Thanks for all the input guys. The SWR California Blonde is listed as an acoustic amp but I have found it to be a lot more versitile. I currently play with a couple of guys and play both my acoustic and my electric bass through this amp...because SWR is known for their bass line I bought this amp specifically for it's tweeter attenuator control (you can turn the tweeter down for more of a low end punch). It is very clean sounding...just don't have that added "sound tweek" that I need for the sound that I am looking for on the electric...it only has reverb on board. I think that a processor is going to be the only way to get this done. I will be trying out a couple of processors suggested on this site to see how they sound. I am sure my Rickenbacker is going to contribute to the sound quality quite a bit also. I have a Fender Acoustisonic amp also but it doesn't have the output that I need for live sound...great for recording though.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have got some kick ass clean tones out a a DOD rp50. I have a vamp pro as well, but I have not been able to get the clean tones yet that I was able to get out of the rp50.

I have a posting of the intro of nothing else matter (done on the rp50) in the covers forum.. search my name in that forum and you should be able to find it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts