Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
nice!!!
good job!
i think eric johnson's tone is alot more distorted than that.. but sounds pretty close.. what pickup u using for that? i read he uses bridge singlecoils..

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I think this is very cool

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm as facinated by Eric Johnson's tones as everyone else. Found this info on the web:
Guitar Rigs of the Gods Part 4. Eric Johnson is renowned for the clarity and purity of his tone. He gets it by keeping his rig fairly straightforward, mostly guitar and amp. He begins with a Fender Stratocaster, with the neck pickup wired out of phase. From there he runs into the first of 2 A/B boxes, giving him three choices in terms of his signal path. His first signal path takes him from the A/B box to tape-driven Echoplex, to a Chandler Tube Driver (which he uses judiciously) and ending at a 100 watt Marshall head with a 4x12 cabinet. His second signal path takes him from the A/B box to a Mayer Fuzz-Face, to an MXR Digital Delay to a second 100 watt Marshall half-stack. His third signal path takes him from the second A/B box to another Echoplex, to a TC Electronic Stereo Chorus (where he splits his signal, Mono in, Stereo out) and ends up at two Fender Vibrolux amps. Wouldn’t it be nice…?
I check out a video of him from Austin City Limits and from what I could see of his rig, it looks close to the description above. He uses the bridge pickup on his Strat for the Cliffs song...
Draegon

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
i like your tone, not on par w/ erics, but nobody is IMO, nice playin though

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I don't believe that having the exact tone is always necessary, I like some changes sometimes if it fits the song. But it does sound a little distant. Anyway nice playing!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
This was great, great job!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey rockon. Not bad man. I actually think your tone was much closer than the one I used. Coulda used a tad more distortion, but overall it sounded much like EJ than what I used. I actually didn't used an amp or peddles, I used a GSP 2101 by digitech direct into the soundcard.

You got the main meldoy down pretty well, but the leads coulda used a little cleaning up. Good attempt overall though.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Wow........I missed this post somehow.......This is pretty awesome dude....I managed to tackle that tone a bit...close enough but nowhere near the GOD of tone himself...Please have a go at this if you like and let me know.....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the comments- and I am in the process of relearning the leads. I learned this quite a few years ago and played it with tons of gain. Now that my playing has gotten better, I thought I'd give it a go again, but try to get close to the tone first, and then worry about relearning all those psychotic runs again. I was pleased that I got that close with just a few takes, close enough not to worry too much about posting it. I noticed that playing with the noise gate and the compression helps in getting closer with the tone too. I think there's quite a bit of compression on it, and the noise gate tends to fade in lightly picked notes.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Khaos, I just listened, and IMO the distortion is a bit much for the EJ tone. That's the part that's been kickin my butt- I tweak the gain down a bit to clean up the tone and it becomes too clean. Dial it up a bit and it breaks up before it should. The delay sounds like its right. It sounds like you are using humbuckers too- and to get the EJ tone I think you'd have to be playing a fender or at least a single coil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts