Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont think my computer is recognising that my Keyboard is plugged into my computer

i have a Mid-In-Out <-> Gameport Cabe plugged from my keyboard into my gameport slot.. for some reason my computer isn't giving me any plug + play information that it has recognised the keyboard is connected nothing happens its plugged in and its just not doing anything, shouldnt there be sound coming through my pc's speakers from the keyboard? or do i need some special drivers or somthing? pls someone help

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
have you checked out the manufacturers site for tips/ software?

·
Crazy Admin
4,004 Posts
Your computer prolly won't pick it up like a piece of new hardwarre using plug and play type thing ,

when i did it . it didn't work like that, i found i had to have a piece of software opened that recognised it.. . something like cakewalk or even fruity loops

i'm not sure how these things work with gameport slots etc , someone would prolly have more info on that than me

good luck

·
Registered
149 Posts
MIDI is not an audio signal so you will not hear sound from this connection. Line out or headphone on back of key board to line in or mic in on Pc sound card. I have a key board hooked to my PC via MIDI to USB works great if you understand what MIDI is and can do. need more imfo on what PC you have and sound card. If you play a MIDI song on your PC your sound card synth will play it . If you hook up a MIDI key board and select it as your MIDI output it will play the song . TO use MIDI you need something like calkwalk or sonar. You can find a lot of free sound software on line. What do you want to do with your key board?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make backing tracks for myself, i have the keyboard connected up via gameport but i have fruityloops installed but i am lost with it i dunno how to work it and i dont know how to get my computer to recognise that the keyboard has been connected as new hardware

·
Registered
118 Posts
the keyboard WILL NOT recognize as new hardware, as MIDI doesn't work that way. What you will need to do is keep the keyboard hooked up. In Fruity Loops you may have some kind of an option as to which MIDI input/output you use... you will have to find the one that works with the gameport... Will usually be listed under your sound card. If your sound card doens't have MIDI drivers installed.. it may not work at all until the drivers are installed.

good luck man!

·
excess to requirements
7,103 Posts
I don't know if this will help but I found it on p2p earlier. it is the psr220 / 230 manual.
it may help.

·
Registered
265 Posts
vanhalenrock said:
i dunno it, it's an old Yamaha psr -220 i'm not sure :/
i have a yamaha psr 295 hooked into my comp . although mine uses a usb connector.the sound only comes throught the computer via the line out on keys, one way to tell if the midi is workin is to use a power tab file and play it . if key board midi is woking it will play through it and it will appear inthe midi list on power tab, but i think that other fellow was correct about needing the proper midi driver for sound card .there is that freeware from digital sound planet that had midi tone generators included with the program

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My soundcard works fine but, and i can play midi tracks on my comp fine i just dont understand how it wont work :/ my sound card is C-Media sound card this stuff is confusing

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there is a driver on my computer called Mpu-401 but when i select it to be used in a program such as powertab it doesnt work :/ there is no sound etc

·
Registered
265 Posts
vanhalenrock said:
How do i know what Drivers will work with my keyboard? somone pls help!
hey i think that is the same sound card as I .. on powertab you want to select midi sytensis .. when i open power tab midi i get yamaha midi out in list,i would go to yamaha site and look for a midi driver for youre keyboard. because you do need it i would guess

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah i tried but it seems they have absolutely no information about my keyboard model it's unreal i have PSR-220, god this stuff is all so complicating!

·
Registered
265 Posts
i can try ... :scratch: midi aside .. on the keyboard there should be a sound line out .. either for headphones or to plug into an amplifier..you need to have this plugged into souncard in order to hear anything on youre computer, ,the midi will only work , if you have some kind of tone generator on the computer . many recording software does .. the one from digital soundplanet has one that will work with yamaha here is a link for yamah p.k club there is manual you can get in pdf file that will explain it a little better

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.