Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Strat... and since I was really cut low on a budget, it's a Squier.

I do get buzzing, but I already know it's probably because a lack of a good ground. My problem is the crackling I get when I sustain a note or just when standing. I'm assuming it's shielding, but it's pretty weird.

Another thing is the way with the volume. I get another type of hissing/crackling when the volume controlled by the guitar is say at 3-4, but when I put it to 10, it disappears. Could it be just the poor electrical work or something wrong?:rant:

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Check your guitar cable for the first crackling. Cheap cables crackle. Make sure the input jack is tight as well. As for the electronics, move the volume back and forth a few times, completely from 0-10 to see if you can work out the scratchiness. while Squier is generally an inexpensive guitar, it isn't a complete piece of shit, so you just may need to do a cleaning on the electronics. Go to Radio Shcak and as them for electronics cleaner.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured out that part of it was in the cable. When the amp was still on, I unplugged the cable and it still had the annoying buzz/crackle, especially near monitors and TV.

Now, when the cord is plugged in, is there a way to stop the buzz/crackle (interference too?) from entering the jack?

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Yea, if you are near the TV or monitor you will get the noise. Just turn your body so you are not facing the TV or monitor. when I record in front of my computer I need to turn away about half way so I don't get the noise.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even when im not so close, I still get the noise regardless of what direction I stand.

I think when I get money, I'm going to wire, shield and ground it properly so I don't have much of this problem.

·
Registered
225 Posts
slimshady842 said:
Even when im not so close, I still get the noise regardless of what direction I stand.

I think when I get money, I'm going to wire, shield and ground it properly so I don't have much of this problem.
Slim, what really helped a lot for me (since I do quite a lot of pc recording) is an flat screen monitor. The buzz will be nearly gone. Most strats have a natural buzz from the single coils anyway, but a CRT monitor will really bring this out by 100%. Flat screens have really come down and will cut down noise completely...at least from the monitor standpoint. :)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Hey Slim 2 other things you may consider,
1: Is there any fluorecent (sp) lights around you or other appliances. Anything with a motor can cause 60 cycle hum as well as monitors, tv's etc.
2: Radio shack carrys single ac line filters that virtually elimates 60 cycle hum from most things.

·
Registered
180 Posts
El_jalepeno said:
Yea, if you are near the TV or monitor you will get the noise. Just turn your body so you are not facing the TV or monitor. when I record in front of my computer I need to turn away about half way so I don't get the noise.

Hell, I have to go out of the room and shut the door with my single coils :icon_peac

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're not the only one that does that prosbloom. I'm the same.

The crappiest part is when I want to use the tone. It just makes the buzz and hum more defined instead of so muffled.

G

·
slimshady842 said:
I figured out that part of it was in the cable. When the amp was still on, I unplugged the cable and it still had the annoying buzz/crackle, especially near monitors and TV.

Now, when the cord is plugged in, is there a way to stop the buzz/crackle (interference too?) from entering the jack?
It seems that the problem is with your amp, not the guitar. If you've unpluged the cord and you're still getting noise, it can't be from the guitar or from the cord.

Tell us what amp you're playing through.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure its not the amp. If I put the plug near say the TV in here, the noise will get louder, thats what I meant by having it unplugged from the guitar. I think that's where a lot of my noise is picked up through is the jack on the guitar when it's plugged in.

G

·
slimshady842 said:
I'm pretty sure its not the amp. If I put the plug near say the TV in here, the noise will get louder, thats what I meant by having it unplugged from the guitar. I think that's where a lot of my noise is picked up through is the jack on the guitar when it's plugged in.
So I'm confused now.

If you unplug the guitar and cord from the amp, is the noise present or not?

If the guitar is plugged in and you're away from the TV, what's the noise like now?

What type of cord are you using? What type of amp.

Remember that the entire circuit can pickup noise, Pickups, switches, jack, cord amp and everything in the amp. Troubleshoot is best if done through elemination.

Unplug the guitar cord from the amp. Noise? it's the amp
Plug in the guitar, keep the amp away from electrical interferance like theTV or PC, noise? it's ni the guitar or cord.

You cannot run the amp with the cord plugged in and no guitar, it'll generate noise no matter what.

I'm trying to help, but I need the data.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The most offending causes of buzzing and crackling are light dimmers, touch lamps, and AC motor speed controls. Their mode of operation is extremely noisy. This noise is then injected into the ac line and transmitted all over along the wiring.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To all of you trying to help, I thank you, but it's my fault for bad explaining.

OK Starr to answer your questions...

-When I unplug the cord from the guitar, the hum/buzz isn't there as it was plugged into the guitar.
-When I'm away from the TV, I still get a good degree of annoying buzz, but not as bad as standing in front of the TV. (I'm outside my room and I still get it)
-The cord I am using a Monster Prolink Standard 100.
-I have a Rocktron VT60 amplifier.

From what you said, I'm assuming its a combination of the guitar and cord.

Another thing could be all the power cords that are running in my room.

Before I attempt to try new pickups though, I'm going to shield and ground it properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts