Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey there...here's my version of ozzy...i keep dying when it comes to the chorus...i need tips...how do stop the old voicebox from "drying out"...should i hide the mistakes with reverb?...any comments good or bad are welcome..thanks - paul... :icon_peac

i sorta posted it in the wrong section... :notme:

thanks to pod god for the backing track... :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Your playing is great once again but I can hear you are in trouble with the vocals. The key just ain't fit for your voice.
Hiding out of tune vocals under effects is like hidin the taste of not so good food under the spices: it doesn't make it good, just weird.
Moving the song to another key is out of the question 'cause you have a ready made backing track - and your guitar might also lose the right sound.
I suggest you try how it sounds if you sing an octave lower. I know that it sounds much different than the original, but let's say that it sounds like you.
It's no use to try singing higher than you can get.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice...i appreciate it...i guess i have to record the tune myself at a lower tuning and retry it...do you know of any voicebox tricks?...do cough candies or honey drinks coat the throat?...or should i invest in singing lessons?...thanks - paul... :notme:

·
Registered
200 Posts
wahwah said:
I wouldn't say hiding it in reverb but it doesn't sound right dry. Singing it an octave lower will make it sound un Oz.
You're right 'bout sounding un-Oz but you can't always get everything.
Reverb often sounds nicer than dry vocs but it doesn't tune out of tune vocs. Pity, it would make singing a whole lot easier. What I'm trying to say is that if the basic vocal track ain't good, no amount of reverb, other effects or even dancing dwafs makes it sound right.
So using them as a remedy is like climbing to a tree with your arse first (a Finnish saying, don't know if you use it in English speaking countries).

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Great playing on this track. Very ambitious of you to attempt to sing like Oz :thumb: His voice is tough so I have to give you props for the attempt.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Vocally you are quite a chameleon and really capture Ozzy's essense. I saw Ozzy in 1982 (about two months before Randy Rhoads died) and he had terrible laryngitis that night. He was using throat spray all night and he sounded pretty raw. About halfway through your cover, where your vocal part breaks down, it was reminding me of that night. Ozzy insisted on performing though and I thought that was awesome, because he could have canceled. Even with a bad voice, Ozzy still rules and that show was great.

I give you major props for doing this cover and if you get a chance to go back and rework your vocals, then I'll be back to hand out new and improved props!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey thanks man...i appreciate it...i'll rework the tune...and try to get a hold of a throat spray...i've seen them advertized in the guitar mags...or maybe there's a homemade version somewhere... :icon_thum

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
the easiest way to record is to break the track down into sections. then you only have to sing a snippet at a time. drink inbetween each take. Most of the trouble with vox drying out is down to bad breathing technique and compensating by forcing the volume. The track sounds pretty cool. great playing and you have a good base for the vox. Try doing the vox over 2 tracks and sing alternate lines on each - that may be easier.

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
Kick ass!!!...This was rockin!!!!!.....:rock:

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Hi there,

This is a great cover. The guitar work on this is great and the tone on the guitar is really good ! The production levels are great.

You are very brave to attempt the vocals on this one mate, especially as wahwah says, Ozzy is a difficult one to try. I would say that the vocals are too dry for a start. Yes, you struggle with the vocals, but hopefully this won't put you off in future. I'm sure most people would struggle with these vocals !

Keep posting, you just gotta find a song that's in your range and I think you'll be fine !

But don't let this take away from the guitar work. It's great. I have been trying this one myself, and struggle at it. The main verse riff causes me problems with the open A string chugging whilst hitting the sequence of chords. I'll get there, but the time I am 64 though !

So respect to you for nailing the guitars on this one mate !

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rain said:
Kick ass!!!...This was rockin!!!!!.....:rock:

hey...thanks rain...i appreciate it... :icon_peac

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mondola said:
Hi there,

This is a great cover. The guitar work on this is great and the tone on the guitar is really good ! The production levels are great.

You are very brave to attempt the vocals on this one mate, especially as wahwah says, Ozzy is a difficult one to try. I would say that the vocals are too dry for a start. Yes, you struggle with the vocals, but hopefully this won't put you off in future. I'm sure most people would struggle with these vocals !

Keep posting, you just gotta find a song that's in your range and I think you'll be fine !

But don't let this take away from the guitar work. It's great. I have been trying this one myself, and struggle at it. The main verse riff causes me problems with the open A string chugging whilst hitting the sequence of chords. I'll get there, but the time I am 64 though !

So respect to you for nailing the guitars on this one mate !

:thumb:

thanks mondola...i appreciate the feedback... :icon_peac

1 - 20 of 24 Posts