Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,393 Posts
How could Stevie play with Jimi on Drivin' South? Did I misread the earlier comments or what? Both artists have played this venerable song in both of their respective sets but never at the same time. Stevie was good but I don't think he was rockin' out hard in 1965. I probably misread it. Old eyes conspire against me quite a bit even with glasses! :)

· Registered
3,393 Posts
emagon4523: the accountant is correct about my misread; the one boot of Jimi's that Stevie did talk about was when he played in Hawaii around the time of Rainbow Bridge. Stevie did play Drivin' South a lot in the early '80s in Texas shows but dropped that, instrumental jams of Manic Depression for more technically challenging songs like Little Wing/Third Stone From the Sun, Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) and the Hendrixy Say What! off of Soul to Soul. I can let you in on the one boot that he never tired of and always looked forward to hearing whenever he was back at his house on Lake Travis: Grant Green Live at Carnegie. He couldn't recall what year it was just like the shows in Hawaii that Stevie thought were the best of Jimi's playing at that time and I'm still trying my best to locate it to this very day! He loved jazz modes that could fit into a blues solo without making it fusion that's for sure! Chitlins Con Carne is a fine example of his jazz leanings that Jimmie put on The Sky is Crying release after Stevie passed away. There is a boot from '83 at Fitzgeralds in Houston in soundboard quality where Stevie is cajoled by a fan in the beginning of the show to play Drivin' South until the song is played. Not that you had to really entice Stevie to play anything by Jimi but, yeah, about any chance he would get he would try to show his admiration for Jimi's music. Sorry about my misunderstand and misread, emagon4523! I hope some of this can help you with you musical odyssey! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.