Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i recently created a post saying i wanted to get the B.C.Rich Kerry King Wartribe 1, and the thing that is now putting me of is that it only has a 12th fret inlay and no other position markers, is there something you could put on any guitar to try and make it so there is???

thanks
freakzilla

·
Registered
175 Posts
Evh uses a black marker to point out the 3/5/7 and 12 fret on some of his necks.......hehe...
he just draws rugged lines above the frets ... (kinda on the top side of the neck, if you know what i mean, so he can see them while playing..)

but i guess this does'nt exactly raise the value of your guitar........:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm true, thanks for that, i think i will like try and recreate the inlay of the 12th and paint it on each of the rest!!!

any other ideas or does it sound good what i am thinking of?!

thanks again

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Go to a hobby store and you will find patterns cut out in very thin vinyl you can stick right on the neck, or buy an exacto knife and do it yourself :thumb:

·
Registered
175 Posts
wow, that sounds easy enough..!:icon_thum

Are all inlays made of only a thin leaf of vinyl, pearl or whatever, and glued to the neck, or is this an easy solution to his prob..?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Use thin strips of neon stage tape on the top side of your neck, it'll mark your frets VERY visibly when your are on the darkest of dark stages. It stays put AND is removable without any residue left behind. I've done this for years, works flawlessly, much better than messing with vinyl decals on the fretboard, those get in the way of playing! Also, this is probably the cheapest and most effective solution to that problem

·
Registered
270 Posts
Check you local music stores or at a Guitar Center or someplace like that first, then try any hardware stores...they might call it gaffers tape (not sure I spelled that right...)

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
DJ Snoo said:
Use thin strips of neon stage tape on the top side of your neck, it'll mark your frets VERY visibly when your are on the darkest of dark stages. It stays put AND is removable without any residue left behind. I've done this for years, works flawlessly, much better than messing with vinyl decals on the fretboard, those get in the way of playing! Also, this is probably the cheapest and most effective solution to that problem
I wouldn't say that putting vinyl on the fret board gets in the way at all, in fact putting tape on the edge of the neck would get in the way when moving your hand about the fret board, especially for the thumb and when using the thumb as many guitarists do.:icon_nono

·
Registered
270 Posts
I play very little with my thumb...don't know why, just never think to do it in the heat of the moment I guess. Thats probably why I never have a problem with it being in the way. Anyhow, it's just an idea, I'm sure it doesn't work for everybody, but since I've had pretty good luck with it, I figured I'd pass along some info. I originally got the idea from Pete Loeffler of Chevelle who uses big ass strips on all his fret markers. I use small pieces, but it's still the same principle; something you can quickly glance down at and know exactly where you are on the neck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts