Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am planning to customize the shit out of my strat, kinda.
ultimately, it is a Starcaster by Fender, my first guitar. my grandfather bought it for me when i was 10. i no longer play it. i figured, insted of buying a new guitar and having that one just sit around, not being played, i might as well make it "playable."

im going to put on a new neck - Birdseye maple C-Shape neck with a Floyd Rose cut-out.
new tremolo system - Floyd Rose Origional with an EVH D-Tuna
new pickups and pickguard - Fender Hot Noiseless pickups pre-loaded into a gray pearlorid pickguard.
new tuning machines - Schaller Chrome Tuners
new straplocks - Schaller Straplocks and buttons.
new strap - Dunlop D-38 solid black.
and new strings - Dunlop Medium 10's
then i was thinking about adding a Fatfinger sustainer to the headstock.

all of this is going to cost me roughly $700.

what do you think?

-mains

·
Registered
285 Posts
Slightly worrying that you're thinking of "new strings" as an upgrade - do you actually play?

Either way there are some very good instruments for your proposed budget that wouldn't require any DIY skills and are likely to offer better VFM.

I'd suggest spending time in your local shop, getting to know the various options (you'll be able to try pretty much all the above). A compromise between a better base instrument with fewer mods would likely cost similar but with better/easier results and still leave you a back up guitar.

The parts are pretty close to a whole instrument... you could always build the whole thing, the joys of Warmoth, USACG and so on would make this easy (though probably cost more).

Gary

·
Registered
323 Posts
I agree...take that 700 bux and get a nice guitar. You'll have a ton of really nice guitars to choose from up to 700 bux. OR..spend 500 on a nice guitar (youll still have a ton of options for 500) and use the rest to upgrade your amp..depending on what you're already playing through :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts