Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
The source of this, also available here at Guitars101 courtesy of EDGE (Thanks!), runs extremely fast/sharp and needed some further improvements, one of which was to uncover and split off an unlisted 'Apricot Brandy' to a new track you'll find here after 'Gold Rush' which is unfortunately incomplete.

So here it is, back to the state at which it was originally performed (minus the missing bits of course) restored to the proper speed and pitch first heard by that lucky Harrisburg audience a long long time ago.

Yer PervFesser

Danny Gatton
Graffiti's
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
May 28, 1991
SBD

A Goody Speed/Pitch Adjusted Remaster, v.2

Personnel:
Danny Gatton - guitar
Bill Holloman - sax, vocals, trumpet, keyboards
John Previti - bass
Shannon Ford - drums

Geetarz lineage:
CD-R (Trade, Unknown) > EAC v. 0.99 Prebeta 4 (Secure) > FLAC (8) >

Goody's additional lineage:
foobar2000 (WAV) > Audition (Pitch Bender, various amounts; Align & center channels; amplify) >
TLH (FLAC Level 8; Align sector boundaries. ffp) > foobar2000 (tags)

Track List:

Disc 1
01. Funky Mama 7:01 (small gap at ~2:15:33)
02. Memphis, Tennessee 11:00
03. Blues Newburg 11:31
04. Medley: Elmira Street Boogie > That's Alright Mama 3:23 (Gap at 1:37. Some music is missing.)
05. Funhouse 6:13
Runtime: 39:07

Disc 2
06. Mustang Sally 7:33
07. Pretty Blue 8:48
08. Gold Rush (cuts off) 5:19
09. Apricot Brandy 2:47
10. Boogie Woogie Woogie 9:39
11. Seven Come Eleven (incl. 'Hand Clappin'' by Red Prysock) 7:51 (Gap at 3:46. Some music is missing)
Runtime: 41:58

Total Runtime: 81:05

(Alternately, this should overburn to most media. See comments, below.)

Geetarz Comments:
One of my fave performances, a personal favorite and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

We all talk about just enjoying "good music", but few people really live up to that ideal. People seem to like things that are easily categorized, and Danny's music could never be defined that way. Even here on Dime, what do we put this under?

Here in just this short set, we veer from country-tinged hard blues, Telecaster Madness, into a reworking of Chuck Berry's "Memphis, Tennessee".

"Blues Newburg" is a blues, no doubt, but it's jazz tinged. The apltly titled "Elmira Street Boogie" owes much to 30s and 40s swing bands as it does to "jump blues" and rockabilly.

"Funhouse" comes from a jazz direction but with pop sensibilities, and "Pretty Blue" is jazz - or is it blues - with a chicken fried coating.

Perhaps the best explaination here is offered by Danny himself in his introduction to "Gold Rush", to wit:

"Gold Rush ... look out, this is a weird tune coming up ... you never heard this before - of course, you probably never heard a lot of these before! Originally, this song was by Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys, and it went, originally, was like this, on banjo and fiddle [plays a bit]. You get the idea? I got the idea to mix this thing up with a little southern rock thing, then we jump over to Scotland for a little while, play the bagpipes. But there's also a little ... what the hell's the name of that song ... "Battle of 1814" or who cares what the name of it is ... I'll just play it and see if you can comprehend it, it's difficult enough for me!"

That pretty much sums it up, Danny was, to me, the ultimate "Melting Pot", you add all good music together and you get "Danny Gatton".

Danny's music deserves a wider audience - share with a friend!

As always, TRADE ONLY; NOT FOR $ALE !

Please direct your browser to Danny Gatton - The Definitive Site and support his family by buying the official releases.

Enjoy!

~Geetarz, November 2009

Geetarz - An Obsession - Audio and Video Reviews

Goody's comments:
The original source posted by Geetarz plays extremely fast, for the most part, and at various different speeds throughout. I thought this would be easy when I started out working on it. It turned out to reveal some surprises, not the least of which is a hot version of "Apricot Brandy", not previously mentioned, and now on its own track. It was at the end of Track 8 just after the dead stop during the sax solo, unfortunately leaving that tune incomplete in its tracks. We'll never get to hear Danny's brilliant work following that solo on Gold Rush. At least, not in this Harrisburg set.

Track 10 seems to be a variation on Big Joe Turner's 'Boogie Woogie Country Girl' with different lyrics.

One thing I should mention is a longer playing time to this show now, due to the speed having been slowed down when the pitch is tuned down to its proper place in the 1991 world, so the total time of the CD is now 81:05. That means that y'all can probably overburn it to a single disc if your settings on your burner and your discs allow it. These days, most do. Just set your preferences to allow overburning and set it to 82:00 just to be on the safe side in the future. Some discs will actually burn that much! We're good here, needing much less.

Thanks to the kind and generous nature of our art department, ethiessen1, within you will find an art folder, nay - 2 art folders - 1 regular and 1 hi-test - each containing, along with the others, one back art for a single disc burn and one for a 2-disc burn. He is nothing if not accommodating and generous to a fault and deserving of many thanks!

[One more extra special comment:
I believe Danny was talking about an old tune called "The Battle Of New Orleans" by Johnny Horton, that went a little somethin' like this:

"In 1814 we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
And we fought the bloody British in the town of New Orleans.

We fired our guns and the British kept a-comin'
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago
We fired once more and they began a-runnin'
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico"

Or somethin' like that. Did that all from memory.]

Goody - 1/8/10
Text updated for this v.2 remaster - 10/26/20

Fingerprints:

01 Funky Mama.flac:672cb57720fab03ca2d5d5275a0c3cdd
02 Memphis, Tennessee.flac:4306dfcd890024e5aa067507f43c13b7
03 Blues Newburg.flac:a84327770ee929cd19cd9524cc6cd154
04 Elmira Street Boogie_That's Alright Mama.flac:122da1535b3412b0c466c9b8645eefbb
05 Funhouse.flac:b4b7df7de8da0c7dade9a2ff16dbf040
06 Mustang Sally.flac:3191efb3c4052fada39de9d99b068588
07 Pretty Blue.flac:ef1b40394447424606fdec6aab16330d
08 Gold Rush (cuts off).flac:0ed5e4c300f3762ac77be3a58d7c9e02
09 Apricot Brandy.flac:a0750eca8425ae7cd5c24313e35da7f9
10 Boogie Woogie Woogie.flac:1a61cff5abc9a7df12d40eb444af9c09
11 Seven Come Eleven (incl. Hand Clappin').flac:30d8c886f87755e24643b221e5249530

https://tinyurl.com/yxcdetum

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New link to download this to a single zip

Please ignore the link in the post, above - it takes you to a page where you need to click the top box to select all the files and then click 'download' which may not have been the correct way for me to have done this.

Here's a link to send you to the 'tinyurl' page where you can select 'proceed to this site' to go to the FF download of the ZIP of the complete file set.

https://tinyurl.com/yxcdetum

goody

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
URL Download Link is working in original post now -

My thanks to EDGE - the link problem is resolved and there is only one link here in both the original post and the above comment. Please download the show at that link and there should be no confusion or problems.

Oh - and enjoy!

:smile:

Yer PervFesser

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.