Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have killed my Ibanez RG470 (Left Handed). It appears trying to record the Attitude Song has [email protected]%^*d the tremolo. Not only has the knife edge blunted but 2 of the saddles have slipped and one of the mounting pins has shifted!

Now - If I buy a replacement trem, I will not only have to make good the wood around the pin but also set up the intonation (which looks like a bit of a bastard). Added to this I have a Roland GK-2A Hex Pickup wedged in between the bridge an the trem (which required some unhealthy trimming of the humbucker mount.

GIven the fact I will end up paying somewhere in the region of £170 for the replacement trem, £60 for the fitting/setup I will be seriously out of pocket to £230+ ($390).

So do I stick with what I know or do I buy a new guitar? I quite fancy one of these guitars (http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=501) and even with import duty it will be cheaper than the repairs and it looks easy to stick my Hex pickup onto it. I know they ARE budget guitars but I wont be using the electronics, as I will be using the guitar as a controller for the VG-88. Looking at the Harmony Central reviews there is quite a good chance that it will not be set up well but I had 3 RG-470L's before I got one that was even remotely playable - yet alone set up.

I do love the RG but as I have had it for 8 years, it has probably seen better days. If I get a Spirit/Stienberger I may be able to fix a fixed brdge (in the fullness of time) to the RG and have a usable second guitar - rather than my dodgy left hand Squire.

Honest opinions welcome - but bear in mind I am a lefty and we get shit all choice in guitars

Many Thanks in advance.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and one more thing - has anyone here imported a guitar from Musicyo to the uk before? if so can you give me an idea of the imort duty/costs involved?

Many thanks

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, I will do.

In the meantime has anybody used http://www.musik-produktiv.de/home/home01g.asp/sid/!06082002 - because If I am right these prices (for the steinbergers anyway) pretty much equate to that of importing from the us once all the charges are applied. Obviously only for members of the EU.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts