Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no plans to do a comp entry this month but the wife suggested Kirsty MacColl & The Pogues would be a good one to do. So this afternoon I gave it a go and drafted her in on vocals too. This is her first main vocal she has done so go easy on her.

Merry Christmas :)

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Linda. :thumb:

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
This was amazing.....You guys are soooo awsome together....I so enjoyed this very much so...Merry x-mas my friends from across the sea:santa:

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks Rain!! I didn't know if this one was a bit obscure to you guys over there but it is a great song. Thanks for the listen :D

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much zeppy. I was beginning to think this one was a poor call on my part. Thank you for the vote of confidence. :thumb:

·
Registered
886 Posts
A very faithful version of this song. I never thought it sounded much like a christmas song but it is a cracking song anyway. Vocals were great.

Great stuff.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks phil. I appreciate it chap :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey goport, way to go. You and your wife did an excellent job! I had never heard that song, but it was great. I'm gonna keep it and share it with family and friends. Hope you don't mind. It's very 'alive'. Good job!:icon_thum

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey no problems mate - glad you liked it :thumb:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I hadn't thought of the Pogues or Kirsty MacColl in a long time and I wasn't familiar with this track. It sounds like you were doing an homage to the vocal stylings of Shane MacGowan?? It would be interesting to hear it in your own style too. Good song!

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey thanks for the kind words chaps. this is not your ordinary Christmas song. the Lyric is pretty sad and it focuses on the relationship of a couple of lifes unlucky victims. It is loosely based on a book by JP Donleavy but it is a beautiful chrstmas hymn. The tune has been voted the best ever christmas song in the uk and rightly so. IMO this is the only christmas song that manages to bring failure and love so close together, and in a way that is touching and celebratory at the same time. I doubt me and Mrs Goport did it justice but this is a truly harrowing tale. worthy of JP Donleavy or even Tennissee Williams.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Hey hey hey ! Glad to join the selct group of husband and wives singing together. Man, Goport, you sound great on this tune. The wife sounds superb and you compliment each other !

"You scumbag you maggot,
you cheap lousy faggot,
Merry Christmas, your ass !!!"

A great tune. Good choice !!! Beautifully sung ! This is gonna be hard to beat !!!

:thumb:

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you very much Mondola :D

Unfortunately it will be pretty easily beaten because it is not well known over the water and also because there are soo many better entries this month. I am happy with it though. Especially the penny whistle bit at the end - probably the first time I have used a pitch shifter effectively :)

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
eyethangyew :thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.