·
Registered
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Derek & The Dominos - Fillmore Outtakes [SBD]
1970-10-23&24 - Fillmore Outtakes
Recorded October 23/24, 1970 @ Fillmore East, NYC

Superb stereo soundboard quality from previously uncirculated source

01 Got To Get Better In A Little While (10-24 L)
02 Key To The Highway (10-23 L)
03 Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad (10-23 E)
04 Blues Power (10-23 E)
05 Have You Ever Loved A Woman (10-23 L)
06 Bottle Of Red Wine (10-24 L)
07 Presence Of The Lord (10-23 L)
08 Little Wing (10-23 E)

Link FLAC

Link FLAC - Mirror

·
Registered
226 Posts
Drat, these are excellent thanks, but nothing here different to Johnny Drugbeard's recent Complete Fillmore Tapes. What is really needed is the missing early show from 24th. I believe I located these (incorrectly labelled and posted) trax a year or two back and identified them as those recordings. I identified unique and different takes for 'Key to The Highway' amongst others. Interestingly all those trax came from the start of the show as the circulated early show trax are from the 23rd. Obviously the engineers were testing their kit ready for recording the late shows. All of the official trax (and all boots except paddington) ever released (anywhere) have been taken from the late shows (whatever the post or art or details say), all these trax in circulation are multi-track mixdowns from the Polydor recordings not SBD. Two distinct mixes are in circulation - Johnny Drugbeard's post is an entirely different mix to the one used on the equally excellent Paddington release.
there is also a really sloppy and very different (full on guitar) live matrix mix from the FM broadcast of the late show from the 24th which is also well worth hearing
Tragically I lost my copies of the 'lost' 24th early show in a disk crash very soon after identifying them. I think dolphinsmile posted them again recently without realising in a now dead post. i have tried to PM him a few times without reply.
Can somebody reach him - we really need to find these trax again

·
Registered
210 Posts
Drat, these are excellent thanks, but nothing here different to Johnny Drugbeard's recent Complete Fillmore Tapes. What is really needed is the missing early show from 24th. I believe I located these (incorrectly labelled and posted) trax a year or two back and identified them as those recordings. I identified unique and different takes for 'Key to The Highway' amongst others. Interestingly all those trax came from the start of the show as the circulated early show trax are from the 23rd. Obviously the engineers were testing their kit ready for recording the late shows. All of the official trax (and all boots except paddington) ever released (anywhere) have been taken from the late shows (whatever the post or art or details say), all these trax in circulation are multi-track mixdowns from the Polydor recordings not SBD. Two distinct mixes are in circulation - Johnny Drugbeard's post is an entirely different mix to the one used on the equally excellent Paddington release.
You are mistaken. EVERYTHING is included in the Complete set and is correctly dated. It is also not a different mix from previous bootlegs. It is same mix in better quality. There is nothing available from the 24th early show...never has been and probably will never be. The show was never mixed and the multi-tracks were discarded for unknown reasons...probably technical. The middle of 23rd early is also missing under similar circumstances.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm afraid this is true. I searched long for the complete tapes, but did not find the early show from the 24. I have 8 songs for the 23 early show (57 minutes). For the 23 late show 11 (119 minutes) . for the 24th late show 12 songs (113 minutes).

·
Registered
226 Posts
i'm sorry but you are mistaken about the mixes. There are the original mixes for the 'In Concert' LP album. The tracks were remixed for the 'Live At The Fillmore' CD release in 94. These trax were subsequently remastered for a later re-release. The trax on the paddington release are a different mix and also mastered differently from yours.
I was not in any way criticising your post which has excellent sound quality and as an audiophile myself would be my preferred choice. The Paddington release is mastered at a higher level more akin to a retail CD but there are also subtle differences in the mix.
The trax I found and lost were from a post of a trade CDR on this forum. All of the accompanying info files for the post were incorrect. I listened to them thru my audiophile cans and there were channel swaps for instruments etc in the mix. More importantly there were marked differences in the track timings and crowd interventions for all the songs.
At this point without the files I cannot confirm of course. It would seem bizarre to have an exact repeat of the same technical issues at both early shows and not at either of the later shows.
These were the earliest days of live recording and the fact that no early show trax have ever featured on any release would suggest that they were never recorded for that purpose or considered for release.
The FM mix i referred to was only recently acquired on a 'grey market' release. I was clearly dubbed from a (for broadcast) vinyl or damaged tape, vinyl I would suggest. It is the late show from the 24th in a totally different almost unrecognisable live mix. i would suggest board feed plus ambient mics. The fact that the intros to some songs have been edited would suggest that it was not broadcast as it happened.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Incidentally my theory was based entirely on the evidence of my ears. I have not read up on the subject. However I am suggesting that the trax (about 40 mins) have been traded and are 'hiding in plain sight' Therefore the fact that we have not 'found' them to this point is of no consequence. They were not even listed on the original post which was mostly outtakes from the Layla album, I just found them attached at the end
I have not listened to confirm but it is quite possible that the Paddington mixes originate from the original mixes and that yours originate from the later 'Live At Fillmore' mixes. That would seem to make sense. In any case they are definitely a different mix

·
Registered
210 Posts
The new "complete" set is everything that was deemed useable and mixed for the "In Concert" album. The liner notes list the mixing date and engineer details for the tapes. The dates of the performances are confirmed by tape boxes and comparing with existing audience tapes. Both the official releases and previous bootlegs have had the wrong dates listed for some songs. Anything claiming to be 24th early is incorrectly dated. It was definitely recorded but the mutli-tracks were not saved and nothing was mixed. Only the beginning and end of 23rd early were preserved and both late shows are available in full. That is it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If I can repair my drive or get a copy of dolphinsmile's post, to check whether it was the same trax i heard, then I will come back to you
In any case I am correct about the mixes. The 'Live At Fillmore' 90s release was remixed, just as the Jimi BOG release was

·
Registered
226 Posts
I should add that it was the Paddington release I was using for comparison at the time. When a performance is 3 or 4 minutes longer than any of the recordings from the other shows on that box, then it is a different performance. I could tell that it was the Fillmore from the crowd ambience and certain 'hecklers' in the crowd from the late show who obviously stayed on the later show.
As I said I haven't read up on this, but I am familiar with the orig LP, the 90s 'Fillmore' release and all the boot releases, and neither my audiophile cans, vintage tubes or ears have ever failed me before.
Of course these trax have been wrongly labelled many times in the past. However I have never come across any release either official or boot which claims to be from the 24th early show, and there is not even an AUD tape against which I could compare the trax i was listening to. If the trax have been circulating unidentified, then maybe this is a reason why

1 - 20 of 70 Posts