Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DiMarzio\'s...

I am looking for some extra info on the Air classic bridge and the ToneZone bridge....anyone who is using any of these pickups??
I am looking for something else for my Wolfgang....

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Re: DiMarzio\'s...

Hi Rid!
I don't know if this helps, but I did this song with the Dimarzio "Air Zone" pup which is very much like the "Tone Zone" except not wound quite as hot. The first solo is with the SD EVH and the second with the Air Zone. You can hear a very nice chime quality in the Air Zone on those harmonic things in the song. I think the Air Zone on a neck through body would really sound amazing! I have a "Tone Zone" in the parts box, will put it in something soon.

·
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks a bunch Strat78....
Hmm that EVH will haunt me as well....lol
Anyways sounds like that TZ has that hollow sound, but it also sounds quite hot...nice harmonics indeed.
Loved the clip by the way:D
Thanks man.

·
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

By the way, what pickup did you use for the rhythm stuff??

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

I recently had a TZ in the bridge of my custom shop LP. Really really sweet Fat tone .Harmonics out the wazooo. Why I let the guy talk me out of that guitar I will never know.
But 100% profit really motivates you.
Keith
VGB

·
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The TZ is that not supposed to be the same pu that EVH used in his EBM guitar??
Lol yeah 100% profit is kinda hard not to do.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

I have an EB pickup. It sounds nothing like my TZ did. The EB sounds really close to my stock wolfgangs. Maybe just a lil "browner". I did a swap with an original EB and an OLP pickup and couldnt hear a difference. But that could just my ears.
Keith
VGB

·
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Lol ok....hmm yeah those DiMarzio's in the EB's had a special sound to them.
They have something extra in the upper region of the mids I like.
Think I'll get a PAF and an Air Classic....
Anyone tried the lowoutputter Humbucker from hell??

·
Banned
488 Posts

A ToneZone in the Neck would be nice.....Michael Romeo of Symphony X uses a ToneZone in the neck eventho its a bridge pickup and it sounds awesome.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

Oh, sorry I got to painting the house and did not check till now. The Air Zone did everything except that first solo. Sorry about the sound quality. I was still learning how to get a good recording from my pod. What I really liked about that AZ was how nicely it cleaned up at lower volumes. In fact I think it sounds really sweet like that. Dimarzio has that great site with sound clips from each pickup. I think its still there.
Talk to you later!

·
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Uh I do not like hot pickups in the neck...I am too much of a stratplayer for that;)
I am collecting more info on the various pickups....and had a real go on my CC today...hehe
And thanks for the info Strat...the parts sounded good.
Hey Eternal, do you not use EMG's??

·
Banned
488 Posts

Yes i use EMG's in my 1981 Ibanez Roadstar 2 Custom Strat. EMG-81 Bridge, EMG-S Mid, EMG-SA Neck. The recordings you heard of me in the originals section where STOCK Pickups in my MM1. there Zebra Pickups.

·
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Ok....I have had a few ones with EMG's back in the early 90's....
Always loved their overdriven sound.
They have some real "smack" in their sound.
Loved it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts