Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

What do you think of my song?

• I set fire to my speakers after listening to that garbage!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's not very good.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's pretty good.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • I am going to sacrifice my firstborn child in honor of your god-like song crafting.

Votes: 1 25.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This song is completely the opposite of the last song I posted. It is more than twice the tempo, there are many layered guitar parts, including dual leads.

As I've said before, my playing isn't very flashy, but I've really made an effort to "flash" it up a bit, as I would like to get more feedback on the song. So, here is my best attempt at impressive guitar work.

*Note: This track isn't 'quite' finished yet. I still have to add a bass track, but I figured that was a minor enough addition that it was worth it to post the song in it's current state.

And PLEASE, if you have any comments then post them here. I don't know what I'm doing wrong if you guys won't tell me! :D

Attachments

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I really liked this! good pace and pretty darn heavy. It is well put together as well. I would sacrifice a child over it, mind :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
I liked it ...I wouldn't give up a first born but I did have to put out the fire ha ha

Whoops I didn't see that it said garbage after the firet thing.......I thought it meant that you set fire to my speakers because it was so good....whoops!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hiya Thorne, This piece is really really good. Your mixing is quite impressive. What's your setup? :rock:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You're making real good use of dynamics in the compositional structure of the song. I liked the layering of different guitar parts. I thought the guitar part that faded in at 1:01 could have just come in at full volume, maybe??

The guitar tones are real good too, so I'll echo the request for your setup. Is that a bass guitar in there with the fuzz tone??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback, there's no feeling greater than getting compliments on your music.

My guitar is a cruddy old Squier. My amp is a Line 6 Vetta II, which is a modeling amp. I used quite a few amp models on this song, but mostly a "Spinal Puppet" and an emulation of a Peavey 5150. I used the compressor, gate and EQ that's built into my amp for the majority of the dynamics alteration. My sequencer is the free copy of Tracktion that Mackie has been so generously giving away at: http://www.guitarplayer.com/freetracktion.htm

The rest of it was just toying with the panning and volume mix. It never ceases to amaze me just how many layers you can fit in just by playing with the pan and volume.

As for the bass, I do have one (Ibanez SRX705), but it's not in this song. The guitar part that I think you are talking about is actually just my cruddy guitar running through a really funky custom amp model called "Big Bottom" that has some serious bass growl to it.

I still need to add a bass part to the song, but I'm nervous that any more bass will ruin the mix. In my general experience, any time you mix a bunch of guitar parts together the bass can get muddy really quickly.

And as for the guitar at 1:01 coming straight in as opposed to fading in, I'll try that when I add a bass. If it sounds good then I'll replace the file that's currently up.

And once more, thanks for the responses and kind comments.

P.S. To the fellow who voted that he was going to sacrifice his child in my honor, the FBI has already been contacted. :grin:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't finished re-doing the track, but I tried the idea about not fading the guitar part at 1:01. Actually, it sounds pretty darn good just starting at full volume, so thanks for the suggestion. I'll get rid of the fade-in when I post the finished version.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.