Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting asked about how I do my pinch harmonics and it got me thinking cos I don't actually do a pinch harmonic which I would explain as sorta attacking the string with the pick sideways on? When I was learning to get these squeals out of the guitar, it was Alex Lifeson that had the most amazing sounds to my ears (listen to the solo on Cygnus X-1 and you'll hear what I mean). Anyway, what I do is use the pinky (little finger) on my picking hand to touch the string very slightly to get the note to react. This to me is easier to get those Zakk Wylde/John Sykes BIG squawks on the thicker guage strings (bottom E, A and D) but also gives some very different noises on the top strings also. The only way I could show this would be with a photo...

I was wondering :

1. Does anybody else here use the same technique?
2. Does anybody have any unusual (i.e not covered by the big
names in tab or on video) techniques that are solely made
up by yourself?

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I think the way most people do it is turning the pick sidewise but it's mostly the thumb that lightly touches and does most of the work .. i haven't heard of people doing the pinky finger thing so that's really cool !

the technique i was proud of doing was back before i used a pick at all .. it was all fingers which was fine till i started listening to VH and i just had to be able to do those tremelo picked lines .. like in eruption and the end of beat it etc. . so i used to trill my middle finger back and forth really fast to get that kinda tremelo picked line .. worked a charm too .. i got it so efficient at one stage i could do whole lines and string skipping .. eventually i gave it all up though and began the long journey at rebuilding my playing with a pick after i started getting sore wrists etc ... was fun watching peoples reactions though when they'd hear me play and say no way you must play with a pick ! ..

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't do that mate...never been able to pick with more than my thumb and forefinger...well, lets rephrase that-couldn't be arsed to learn!
The thing about using my pinky is that no-one was there to tell me it was right on wrong as there wasn't the level of tuition (magazines were very few and the internet didn't exist!) so I just figured thats how Alex Lifeson did it. Got to be honest, I couldn't get the harmonic squeals I do without it so it's a happy mistake!
Anyone else got some strange practise that doesn't involve goats that we should know about?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
So are you using the tip of your pinky for this? How do you hold the pick? I have my middle, ring finger and pinky fanned outwards when picking. It feels kinda weird to bring the pinky up to touch the string, or maybe you're using the side of your pinky

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I think Chris is probably quadruple jointed like the rest of the greats. lol. I tried it too PG. might as well have used boxing gloves to jerk off. I got the same results... frustrated and still never got what I was hoping for.
lol
Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.