Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been playing around with this lately. i heard zappa used to do this occasionally...like turn on the wah pedal and move it to a certain spot and leave there and play a solo. play with a really dim sound or it helps to give a mid boost. anyone else ever try it? is this a legitimate thing to do or am i just retarded?:D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
i think i read somewhere that joe satch does that alot too.. emphasizing on certain harmonic overtones etc.. that u can get from a certain position on the wah pedal

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Set the way fully forwards (treble) and play a solo. It sounds like its always about to break out in feedback. Well, thats what happened when i played around with it once.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Oh man, the Wah is a great tool! I use mine of course for the wah effect, but I also shape my tone with it quite a bit. Especially if I am gigging and for whatever reasons my sound is a hair off, I kick in the wah and find something I like then leave it there for a while :thumb:

·
Banned
156 Posts
Yea i like this concept. Even keeping the wah all the way down (closed/ honk honk tone). But another thing i always liked doing, is instead of riding the wah, say picking or tapping a something thats fast while very slowly going up on the wah.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I've done it a few times like EJ said .. especially gigging and can be perfect to just set you in a good spot ...

it's how mark knopfler got his awesome tone on money for nothing (see avatar hehe)

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
this is an interesting one . i have often used the wah kept in certain positions for cool tonal qualities .. often in a more highs position .. just cause it helps accentuate certain notes in ways you cant otherwise accentuate .. its cool :) .. good trick :)

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
also i forgot to say when i have my 5150 cranked to all crap putting the wah in the top position just feeds back instantly .. which can be usefull ... if you want to get a big squeel or instant feedback on a note .. handy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts