Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started recording my stuff in the middle 80's with an old Tascam 4 track cassette and now use a Tascam 788. I don't really play out with a band but I like the portable part of a stand alone recorder. My music stuff is in a different room from my computer stuff. So my music stuff doesn't interfere with anyone else. Here, I've noticed that MANY people are using software and their computers to do recording with.

Before I got my 788, (used by the way), I considered getting software and trying to record and manipulate on the computer. I still like my way of doing this, but I am leaning towards buying software and some hardware to move into the computer era.

So, a couple questions to generate some discussion;

Does anyone have space/timing problems with their computer based recording? By space/timing I mean, is your computer time limited by others using the computer? Do you have a lot of "stuff" that needs to be moved or put away before and after you record?

How about software...After investing cash in software, are you investing again for updates?

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
I recently bought a new computer to be used as a dedicated machine and I love it. It is in my little recording room down in the basement and it has nothing on it but recording software, Microsoft Office (Word/Excel/Powerpoint), all my Em Pee Threez, MIDIs, Backing Tracks, PowerTabs, GuitarPro files, and my recording files. I used to have it all on my computer that I use for freelance graphic/Web design and personal Admin/office stuff, but that was too much for my brain to handle. I love having a computer that has nothing on it but music/recording stuff.....less problems, less confusion, and it is set up and ready to go at all times.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
kc_artist_rocker said:
I love having a computer that has nothing on it but music/recording stuff.....less problems, less confusion, and it is set up and ready to go at all times.
I need to get a separate puter for my recording too KC...all my graphics software,office software and music stuff is on one pc. My harddrive is getting full and I can't multi-task much anymore....maybe some more memory would help but I may get an external harddrive for the music software.

Still, I have no timing errors or recording problems other than monitor hum.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have a seperate computer dedicated to recording, but i always seem to add some crap cause I'm too lazy to jump back and forth between PCs. No matter how hard I try, I always end up installing something that isn't needed, lol.

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
My computer is shared with the wife , she plays games a lot , goes on Yahoo , uses the scanner, ocasionally sings Karaoki , watches the occasional movie , downloads music etc , and to be honest i have no problems at all with conflicts , everything goes smoothly , that is when i can get on it !:mad:

·
Registered
473 Posts
You couldn't pay me enough money to hook a recording machine up to the internet. Just way too risky. Also, on my old recording machine, I disabled my USB & Parallel & serial ports. This way I had more resources for my sound hardware. That also meant no modem. The network card was only enabled when needed. If there was onboard sound, this was completely disabled and a better sound card used. So basically, everything not necessary was disabled. :mix:

Just my 2 pennies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.