Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
I'm not real familiar with that song but, I have heard it a few times. It sounds to me like they ripped the origional track and reduced the lead guitar volume.(you can still hear it a little)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
sgstd said:
I'm not real familiar with that song but, I have heard it a few times. It sounds to me like they ripped the origional track and reduced the lead guitar volume.(you can still hear it a little)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know how they did that?

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
this can be done with a vocal removal program. These work by analyzing the stereo image and remove any monophonic signal in the centre of the stereo field. This may explain why there is a trace of the solo still in the mix on the BT.

this gives a bit more info http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/news/1349/

G

·
Funny enough if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's the same one that I covered with a few people from the Jordan rudess forum. We released a version without the guitar tracks so that guitarists would be able to use it to jam on. Oddly enough, I never realised that it would make it that far

I have the other versions without the bass, Drums, Guitar, Keys, etc..

The Drums were taken from MP's Drums of Thought *ISO track* because we didn't have a drummer, so they're the actual drums. The Bass was played, so was the guitar and mixed in my home "studio" and the Keys were me.

G

·
Oh, NM - re-read the posts...
Yeah, it was PROBABLY phasing. Was it JUST the guitar solo that was missing? Because JP *John Petrucci* has just the solo part posted on his site, the guitar solo ISO track. It's possible that someone just took that and phased out the tracks by inverting one of the samples and basically layering it

G

·
Here, just for the sake of posting it: This is a cover that a few friends from the JR forum and I did that I was talking about previously:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts