Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy is on a few concert DVDs I own - Roger Waters In the Flesh Live and Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival, to name two.

I understand the playing the guitar lefty but what's the deal with reverse stringing it? His strings are reversed, with the high E where the low E should be, etc. How is it one would learn to play in that fashion. He's great, if you don;t know who he is you're missing out on a great player, just always wonder why he does it that way...

·
Registered
425 Posts
that's pretty wild... I've never seen a player string a guitar like that before :confused:

·
Registered
479 Posts
stingx said:
This guy is on a few concert DVDs I own - Roger Waters In the Flesh Live and Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival, to name two.

I understand the playing the guitar lefty but what's the deal with reverse stringing it? His strings are reversed, with the high E where the low E should be, etc. How is it one would learn to play in that fashion. He's great, if you don;t know who he is you're missing out on a great player, just always wonder why he does it that way...

Doyle is a great player and writer......we was SRV's writing partner on and off for years.....

·
Registered
425 Posts
one thing about him is the Strat he plays on the Crossroads DVD. It has the paint worn off above the strings, so it looked like SRV's strat. I really don't understand that. It would have to take some serious strumming (and lots of it!) to get it like that. I don't know, that's just one of my peeves. I also saw KWS play a guitar like that. They are both awesome players though, don't get me wrong!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I too have the Waters DVD featuring Doyle Bramhall II and he is an awesome player.
The late great bluesman Albert King was renowned for playing a Flying V strung in this fashion, King was also a huge influence on Stevie Ray Vaughan.
In turn Stevie Ray spent some time jamming and writing with Doyle Bramhall (Doyle Bramhall II's father). So it could be that the the young Doyle Bramhall II (himself massively influenced by SRV) may have thought "if Albert King can play a right hander turned upside down, then so can I".
Eric Gales is another great player who plays right handed guitar upside down without reversing the strings. Check him out if you haven't already, he's a great blues player.

·
Registered
23 Posts
kudochop said:
that's pretty wild... I've never seen a player string a guitar like that before :confused:
Dick Dale comes to mind, he played and upside down. And he used .16 guage strings, don't quote me on that though.

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
skydog911 said:
Doyle is a great player and writer......we was SRV's writing partner on and off for years.....

Actually I believe this is Doyle the 2nd, his father was SRV's writing partner.

·
Registered
425 Posts
batfish said:
Dick Dale comes to mind, he played and upside down. And he used .16 guage strings, don't quote me on that though.
Wow... that's crazy. I've heard that guy would just burn through the picks... I can see it playing .16 gauge strings!

·
Temporary Organ Donor
314 Posts
That's right. His Dad wrote w/ SRV and played with Jimmie Vaughan around Dallas & Austin

Eric Gales is another lefty guitarist that plays w/ the Low E to the floor.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I imagine he must have had right-handed guitars lying around and he picked one up the wrong way, learned a few songs without being corrected by which it could have been to late for him to want to change.

There could also be the Albert King influence on him. Apparently you can bend further easier when you pull down (as DB II would have to) which is maybe why he did it. I imagine that the reason Albert King was able to pull such huge bends was because he played in this manner. Also I heard Albert King played in a C-tuning which would certainly would have made the strings more slack. I believe this is one of the reasons SRV used to down-tune 1/2 step so he could pull off the same bends as King, who of course had a large impact on SRV and DB II.

He's a very cool player indeed - probably my current favorite. I think he used to be in Jimmie Vaughan's band the Fabulous Thunderbirds - second guitarist. He later formed the Arc Angels with Charlie Sexton and the rhythm section of SRV's Double Trouble - Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon. His solo stuff is great - check out "Jelly Cream" or "Welcome".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.