Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Jeff McDonald
3,793 Posts
Guitar tone and playing were fantastic, especially all the clean tone parts. I thought the heavy parts could have had a little crunchier tone on guitar (personal preference only). Vocals started out shaky for me, but kicked in good a little further into it. Great song, great post.

:thumb:

· Napoleon Dynamite
4,511 Posts
All 'round superb production. Very faithful to the original. I agree with KC in that the guitars could have sounded "tougher" but I cannot fault this at all because it sounds so good. Most impressed by the clean guitar parts...just spot on. The vocals had the prerequisite gnarl and power to them. Well done gents! :thumb:

· Da Blooze Guy
5,863 Posts
Listening as I write this. The opening vocals seem a little too wet for my taste, they are great vocals, and I would like to hear them more out front, the clean guitars are killer, I don't agree about the guitar distortion, however it does seem like the bass drops out. I also miss the falsetto dream on part, but I can't fault you for leaving that out, I couldn't even come close to doing it with my nuts in a vise.:toothless Anyway, great rendition, with just a few little tweaks, it would be A-One perfect.

· Lead Kazoo-ist
1,435 Posts
Great performances guys, clean tones are crystal sweet SGSTD. Vox, seemed a little low in the mix... and Matt, you seem to get more comfy as it went on and pretty quickly. I think it would land as "perfection" to hear the "at home-ness" from the latter 3/4+, in the early couple of seconds. Felt the sound on the vox (not performance, but mic effect or post rendering) might have taken something away from the overall vocal sound, although it was low and tougher to hear by itself, might be different when it's upfront more. With all that said, and it's worth about zilch, I'm an amateur... Doesn't change my thinking that this is a great great rendition and surely one of the best covers I've heard here. All critique is made with sincere respect.

· Registered
1,292 Posts
Thanks for listening and all the input guys. I appreciate the constructive criticisim as much as the praise. I won't make any excuses for the vocals other than that it was much harder for me to sing this than I thought it would be. Rythameen I know what you mean about missing the falsetto, but trust me when I say it was out of the question :lol: . I did enjoy doing this and I think sgstd playing/production is always top-notch. Thanks again!

· Registered
379 Posts
HEY YOU DID IT! I actually requested some aerosmith from ya when you posted a beatles song.

THANKS!

oh and what you complaining about I think the problem with the vocals IS NOT the way you sang it. you sang it awesome, and this song is tough!! it just has a tad too much reverb, maybee bring it up some in the beginnig. I LOVE YOUR FEELING and THE BREATHS I CAN HEAR!! the timbre at the away word!!

I can tell that the vocals are awesome, seems a little washed over with verb.

The guitars are perfect! maybee not perfect but the playing is, Id like to see em fatter, maybee make 2 tracks that are slightly off in time and pan em? hmm

A+ for all performances
b for mix.

still WELL worth keeping!!! I may have to put on cd and put in car with some other songs.

THANKS!

FatesWebb

· Registered
5,367 Posts
This kicked ass, killa guitars sg, killa vox SC, awesome job on an Aerosmith classic!! :thumb: :thumb:

· Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thx vm everyone for the kind words and feedback. The main problem with the mix is that it was a premade backing. I normally create my own from a midi track...that way I can mix all the backing instruments myself but, I couldn't find a complete midi track for this song....so I used this premade backing. Thx again for listening y'all!!!:D

· I am a meat popsicle
4,742 Posts
Damn! SC350 got's the goods!! It's agreeably not easy to sing, but you did very well!

SG...you are a outstanding!! Crank it up bro!! I definetly take my hat off to you both!! Killer!! :rock: :rock:

· Registered
1,292 Posts
3fingers said:
Damn! SC350 got's the goods!! It's agreeably not easy to sing, but you did very well!

SG...you are a outstanding!! Crank it up bro!! I definetly take my hat off to you both!! Killer!! :rock: :rock:
Thanks for the support 3fingers! :thumb:

· Registered
55 Posts
This reminds me of just how wicked Steven Tyler is. You did a commendable job on the vocals; I agree they are a tad too "processed" sounding (not sure if that's a vocoder or what, but I definitely don't think it's a reverb problem) but hey, it is ST after all. Nice job. That synth pad in the bg is a bit much, it isn't there quite that much or that loud in the original, but that is probably the BT, so nothing you could do there.

The guitars sound pretty damn good. The lead could be a bit more saturated, but not much, it's very close to the original sound as it is. People just think that the guitars in the original are heavy, but give it a listen: they're not! They are just a bit dirtier than what you've done here. Excellent playing, you nailed all the notes and the timing is about perfect.

Overall, nice job!

· Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thx vm for stopping by guys!!!:D And yes you're right dealwithit...the guitars in that song aren't very heavy. I tried to get them close...but just couldn't get it to sound perfect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.