Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to use this? I know you need battery for this and something like acid for a midi edit thing but can you use sonar for it since it also has a midi grid? I just need some help!!!!!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
You can use it many ways. Battery works well with Sonar, so I don't see why you couldn't just start up Battery and load a DFH preset:dunno:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I may be able to help. Basically, DKFH is simply a bunch of samples. I don't use Battery, so I can't comment on how it works with it, but I use NI Kontakt sampler it came with for it. Basically, you open DKFH in VST, send your midi drum track through it, and assign whatever drum to their respective places. Now....DKFH is a major memory hog...and I mean MAJOR. I would say a gig of ram would be the minimum. BARE minimum. DKFH is good, but if you want something easier WITH built in drum patterns, I would suggest GrooveAgent. It has pretty good sounding drums and you can run any midi pattern through it as well. DKFH is also standalone, but I never use it that way, it may also be DX, but again, I always use those things in a VST environment to keep it faster.

If you need specifics, just ask, I'll be happy to help you out as much as I can. I have DKFH2, and I have used it a few times, but I prefer GA, and if I need some better/different/specific samples, I use drumagaog after splitting the midi track.

·
Registered
103 Posts
GA *SHOULD* work under ME, I use XP so I'm not positive, but I seem to remember a friend of mine using it under either 98 or ME.

I have aim if you have questions....or summin... :)

deviloche on aim

·
Registered
83 Posts
SixShine said:
I may be able to help. Basically, DKFH is simply a bunch of samples. I don't use Battery, so I can't comment on how it works with it, but I use NI Kontakt sampler it came with for it. Basically, you open DKFH in VST, send your midi drum track through it, and assign whatever drum to their respective places. Now....DKFH is a major memory hog...and I mean MAJOR. I would say a gig of ram would be the minimum. BARE minimum. DKFH is good, but if you want something easier WITH built in drum patterns, I would suggest GrooveAgent. It has pretty good sounding drums and you can run any midi pattern through it as well. DKFH is also standalone, but I never use it that way, it may also be DX, but again, I always use those things in a VST environment to keep it faster.

If you need specifics, just ask, I'll be happy to help you out as much as I can. I have DKFH2, and I have used it a few times, but I prefer GA, and if I need some better/different/specific samples, I use drumagaog after splitting the midi track.
Hey man. I gotta DFH too with Kontakt but I dont know how to use it. I used the LM-4 drum sampler before but I didn't like the idea f have 4 midi channels for one kit. My main aim is to get drums from a program like Guitar pro where the kit is one instrument and then put DFH over that WITH the volocities added after wards (or auto matically if possible), How would you do this with Kontakt? do oyu have any templates that I could use to help me?

I am very confused you know!:D

Cheers ddue

·
Registered
103 Posts
hmmm. I think I see what you are asking, but DKFH uses about 6 or 7 channels for drums. If you want to use the midi drums from another prog or whatever, simply open the midi, open the DKFH VSTi and set the output of the midi track to DKFH. At least I THINK that's what you were asking, but keep in mind I'm kinda slow, it's friday, and midi confuses me on many levels anyway.

Again, tho, and I hate to keep bringing it up when it really has nothing to do with DKFH, but GrooveAgent will do just what you are asking for. It's simply a drum instrument that puts drums to your midi, several kits, a good "humanize" feature that really adds a little life to it, the drums are tunable, each has it's own volume level, etc.

The only reason I am banging this so hard is because I, like many other ppl, needed something to give me good drums and was simple. I tried GA and it is superb. Not only is it as easy as it can get and have good kit sounds and options, it will actually give you beats, fills, etc, and make the midi trck while you record. I uninstalled DKFH, it was giving me too much trouble, and choked my system to death when I tried to open the overhead samples.

Good luck and I will help you in any way I can, simply ask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sixshine, maybe you can help me, im having the exact same problem as the other person, i have midi drums and basically want them to sound more realistic in my recordings like real drums.. programs i own are cubase sx, DKFH2, Groove Agent, Guitar Pro 4.1 and i really cant figure this midi thing out at all :/

the part of your description that has me stumped is: "and set the output of the midi track to DKFH" how exactly do i do that? or set the output of the midi track to groove agent..

TIA.

edit: btw, i have only just got cubase, and im really struggling to work it out along with the way all these vst plugins etc seem to work hence what probably seems like a stupid question to you.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I know how to do it for n-Track Studio, but this is a feature that probably works a little differently in other multitrack recording apps. Sometimes you can right-click on a track and get an "Output to..." choice on the menu. It might be embedded in a Properties dialogue box too. The best thing is to open the help files in your app and search for VSTI. You should then find some procedures for setting it up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts