Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to see how the 5150 combo would hold up playing along with a few early Van Halen songs. I took out Ed's guitar and played along with the right channel of the song which on the CD only has his effect return with no guitar. I didn't try to copy the exact sound of the album or anything like that. I have to say this freakin thing sounds awesome in my opinion! I never tried doing this with the 5150 combo before, just a Plexi reissue and an old 70 Super Lead. I always thought the combo would sound crappy with those older songs. I have it set up with the sound coming out of my 4x12 Marshall cab. I kept the gain real low to try and get a more plexi-like vibe to the tone. Let me know what you think. It's two very short clips. I used the exact amp settings on both songs.

Everybody wants some w/5150 combo

Van Halen 1st album w/5150 combo

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I would be happy with that! :icon_thumCan you post some examples of how it sounds with leads (no phaser please). How are you recording these clips?

·
Registered
67 Posts
strat78 said:
I would be happy with that! :icon_thumCan you post some examples of how it sounds with leads (no phaser please). How are you recording these clips?
Thanks srat78! I have one clip with some Combo/Marshall cab leads on it. It goes back and forth from rythyhm to lead. My settings for this clip were different than these 2 Van Halen CD clips but you can get an idea how it sounds when playing lead parts. Here's the clip.

5150 Combo/Marshall Cab lead clip

·
Registered
67 Posts
srat78, i forgot to mention how i recorded it. First i recorded the right channel of the songs (Eds effect return side with no guitar) onto Cakewalk and panned it up the middle so it's now in both speakers but with no Ed. Then i recorded my guitar onto track 2 and just mixed it in with a little reverb and delay. I used one SM57 mic and had it placed right against the grill cloth of the Marshall cab of the lower right speaker. I use 25 watt Greenback reissues. That's pretty much it. After all that i just convert it down to mp3.

wahwah said:
Sounds great. I had a 5150 Mark1 head that was great for early VH sound but noisy as fuck and not very versatile. Great tone tho but you have to be careful not to pump up the gain beyond about 5 on either channel. :thumb:
Thanks wahwah! Yeah, i know what you mean about the gain on these things
:icon_eek: For these 2 CD clips i had the gain set to slightly below 4. Your right, any higher than 5 and it just gets to be way too much for what i like. Also, setting the gain lower tightens up the sound.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Man VH, that's a very nice brown tone you have going there. I've never heard a 5150 sound that way... they usually sound loose and fuzzy because of the low power tube bias. Is that a stock 5150? Also, I never heard Celestion G12M's sound so smooth. Nice indeed.

What kind of mixer/mic pre are you feeding the mic into?

Ed

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mr Crumb said:
Man VH, that's a very nice brown tone you have going there. I've never heard a 5150 sound that way... they usually sound loose and fuzzy because of the low power tube bias. Is that a stock 5150? Also, I never heard Celestion G12M's sound so smooth. Nice indeed.

What kind of mixer/mic pre are you feeding the mic into?

Ed
Thanks Mr Crumb. Actually it's a bone stock 5150 combo. The Marshall cab really warms it up and takes away any buzzyness imo. Also, i kept the gain much lower than usual for these clips and it really tightened up the sound to give it that plexi-like vibe. I had it set a little before 4. That in combination with the lower watt Greenbacks and PAF pickup just gave it that smooth sound. As far as recording goes i didn't use any mic pre. The way i do it is i just use one sm57 and go straight into the line-in or mic jack on the back of my computer depending on how loud i want to keep my amp. I raise the volume of the amp as i look at the level on my Cakewalk program to get the best possible recording volume. That's pretty much it.

·
40 ain't bad
99 Posts
That sounds awesome! I might have to find a cabinet now for my 5150 combo. :rock:

·
Registered
473 Posts
And here, I'm thinking you need a mic pre and all that fancy shite

Are you even using a matching transformer? How are you mic'ing the speaker?
I traded my M's to someone years ago because they always sounded gritty and harsh to my ear. I even went to Celestion's website a couple of years ago(when they had samples of their speakers) and the clips of the M's sounded harsh to me there also. Your's sound so much rounder and smoother. They also have a nice tonal 'sock' to them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I want to get a Marshall cab for my 5150 head. I'm currently using a Randall 2x12 and it sounds okay tonally but I love the sound of Marshall cabs. Cool Clips, but you could have used a tad more "cut", to my ears. What guitar are you using?? My new Ibanez RG320 lets me get really close to Ed's sound but of course I can't play like he does....But I love the SOUND!!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mr Crumb said:
And here, I'm thinking you need a mic pre and all that fancy shite

Are you even using a matching transformer? How are you mic'ing the speaker?
I traded my M's to someone years ago because they always sounded gritty and harsh to my ear. I even went to Celestion's website a couple of years ago(when they had samples of their speakers) and the clips of the M's sounded harsh to me there also. Your's sound so much rounder and smoother. They also have a nice tonal 'sock' to them.
I'm not sure what you mean by matching transformer? For micing the speaker i used one sm57 and had it going straight in to the lower right speaker of the 4x12, no off axis position or anything like that. I placed the mic a slight bit below the dead center of the cone, only by about a half inch to an inch. About the Greenbacks, i'm not sure if this is true or not but i heard at the plexipalace.com that the celestion greenbacks sold now are slightly different than the ones they made when they first started reissuing them back i think around the early 90's. I purchased my cab around 92. Maybe that has something to do with it, not really sure though.

metalnick said:
I want to get a Marshall cab for my 5150 head. I'm currently using a Randall 2x12 and it sounds okay tonally but I love the sound of Marshall cabs. Cool Clips, but you could have used a tad more "cut", to my ears. What guitar are you using?? My new Ibanez RG320 lets me get really close to Ed's sound but of course I can't play like he does....But I love the SOUND!!!! :thumb:
Thanks man. :icon_thum I guess it's just an opinion thing because i'm really loving the sound i got out of this thing. I'm using a Kramer Striker S-424CR with a Seymour Duncan 59 in the bridge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought some reissue greenbacks in 2003 and put em in a 4x12, and once they broke in they sound really good, although some people don't like them. I use them with my 5150 combo and my splawn modded 1959slp and think they sound.

·
Registered
67 Posts
1984 5150 said:
I bought some reissue greenbacks in 2003 and put em in a 4x12, and once they broke in they sound really good, although some people don't like them. I use them with my 5150 combo and my splawn modded 1959slp and think they sound.
Alot of people seem to like the G12H30's. It's a great sounding speaker but it has alot more midrange than the Greenbacks and with all the mids you get with the 5150 the Greenbacks are just right for the sound i like. It has an even match to my ears. I heard that Celestion has a new series of Greenbacks that are supposed to be exact replicas down to every last spec of the originals ones from the 60's. I think they are called Heritage series or something like that. Wonder how those sound. Think they are expensive though.

Twofistedalesman said:
Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:
Thanks man!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I've heard that Eddie used a Variac to get that "brown" sound from his amps. For those that don't know, a variac is a variable AC transformer that allows you to dial in the line voltage you want sent to the device thats plugged in to the variac. Supposedly Marshalls are "really" designed for optimal performance at an AC line voltage of 100 volts VS 120 usually found here in the US. SO, the variac lets you dial in 100 volts when you actually have 120. The lower voltage causes the tubes to run a bit cooler, which alters the tone and gives that famous tone. I have been wanting to try a variac on my marshall, but the suckers are expensive - like $150 or more.

Rj

·
Registered
67 Posts
Twofistedalesman said:
Hey VH, glad you posted some new clips. Always a pleasure to hear you play. I just downloaded your RTN demo. Sweeeeet!
Thanks man! Glad you liked my original song.

rjfoster said:
I've heard that Eddie used a Variac to get that "brown" sound from his amps. For those that don't know, a variac is a variable AC transformer that allows you to dial in the line voltage you want sent to the device thats plugged in to the variac. Supposedly Marshalls are "really" designed for optimal performance at an AC line voltage of 100 volts VS 120 usually found here in the US. SO, the variac lets you dial in 100 volts when you actually have 120. The lower voltage causes the tubes to run a bit cooler, which alters the tone and gives that famous tone. I have been wanting to try a variac on my marshall, but the suckers are expensive - like $150 or more.

Rj
Yeah those Variacs can be kinda expensive. You can pick them up on ebay for much lower prices though. I use one on my Marshalls and to be honest with you i really don't hear a change in tone, just a lowering in the overall volume of the amp. If there is a change going on it's extremely hard to hear in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts