Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Super Moderator
33,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eddie Van Halen & Cheech Marin (Van Hey Man!)
M. E. R. Charity Event
Firestone Fieldhouse at Pepperdine University
Malibu, California May 12, 1985

Cassette audience recording of unknown gen, by an unknown taper. I received this in a trade in the 1980's. Eddie, Cheech Marin, and unknown musicians play cover tunes billed as 'Van Hey Man!' at a charity gig in Malibu. I am sharing this because of the rarity, not the sound quality. I didn't include the soundcheck because the quality is even worse, believe it or not! Source: Unknown gen cassette>FLAC

Attachments

· Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for this! I have a friend that worked at Trancas market in the Malibu area. Must've been in the mid to late 80's or something. There was a bar next door. One night, EVH just happened to be there because he was friendly with one of the guys in the band. They were a local band. No albums or hits or anything. Just playing a bar gig. Anyway, after stopping and picking up some stuff at the market where my friend was working, EVH went over to the bar. Ended up sitting in with the band for their second set. Word spread quicker than quick. The bar owner was so gobsmacked by this that he hired the same band to come and play the next weekend.

You can see where this is going already, cantcha...

The bar owner went so far as to put EVH up on the marquee, even though there was no agreement, no contract, no nothing which would in any way ascertain he'd be there. Let alone play. So the night of the gig comes. The parking lot is full. The bar is doing double time trying to keep up with the drink orders. And....EVH shows up. Sidles up to the table that the bar owner had reserved for him. Has a drink. And bails. A one-off gig is a one-off gig, right? And with all the unwanted hoopla, there was just no way lightning was going to strike twice. How embarrassing for the bar owner.

I don't know if that band was ever hired at that bar again. I suspect they were, though, as this wasn't their doing. A local band and so forth.

But funny story.

· Registered
2 Posts
Freaky coincidence! Just this week I was telling someone about me being at this 1985 charity concert with Eddie Van Halen (and Cheech Marin on lead vocals)...and I was thinking "I wonder if there's a recording of it." Then today I see an article about it and there IS a recording! Almost spooky! Psychic? Love it. I was saying Cheech was introduced as Cheech Lee Roth. I still have the T-shirt from the show too! Not mentioned in this article is that Beach Boy Brian Wilson was the headliner! Pretty cool, once in a lifetime event.

· Registered
7 Posts
Freaky coincidence! Just this week I was telling someone about me being at this 1985 charity concert with Eddie Van Halen (and Cheech Marin on lead vocals)...and I was thinking "I wonder if there's a recording of it." Then today I see an article about it and there IS a recording! Almost spooky! Psychic? Love it. I was saying Cheech was introduced as Cheech Lee Roth. I still have the T-shirt from the show too! Not mentioned in this article is that Beach Boy Brian Wilson was the headliner! Pretty cool, once in a lifetime event.
Do you know who is singing the first song? Is it Dave Mason?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts