Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GUITARWORLD confirms Edward Van Halen's Gift to DIMEBAG DARRELL.

The March 2005 issue of GUITAR WORLD magazine is a tribute to "Fallen " guitar heroes. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT is on the cover. His life and death are covered. Nick Bowcott, former guitarist for Grim Reaper and DIMEBAG friend, tells of the funeral service for the slain PANTERA/DAMAGEPLAN guitarist.

"Only a few weeks earlier, Darrell and his brother, drummer Vinnie Paul, had finally met their Van Halen counterparts, Eddie and Alex, an occasion Dime described to me as inspirational, uplifting, and almost religious. Darrell had asked Van Halen if there was any way he could jump the queue and buy one of the limited-edition black-and-yellow-striped Charvel guitars. Ed replied that he would tape the thing up himself, in Dime's presence. As this was no longer possible, Edward explained, he wanted to give Dime the ORIGINAL black-and-yellow ax, the guitar depicted on the back of VAN HALEN II. It is this guitar Dime was holding when he was laid to rest."

:jam:

Thanks to FRETS5150 for the above story.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
That is soo awesome, a great gesture by Ed

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes that's definitely a great gesture by Ed and Dime was about to do the same for Ed too. There was a special Dean Dime signature in production that was meant to be given as a present to Ed.
Zakk already received one at NAMM this year but I don't know how to post pics sorry....:ball:

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
berseker said:
Yes that's definitely a great gesture by Ed and Dime was about to do the same for Ed too. There was a special Dean Dime signature in production that was meant to be given as a present to Ed.
Zakk already received one at NAMM this year but I don't know how to post pics sorry....:ball:
Email them to me at [email protected] and I can post for you :thumb:

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Ed just being Ed. Great gesture. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
When I think of what Ed could have sold that axe on Ebay for.....it really was a big gesture from him. Sometimes he can actually forget his greedy side and do something cool for a big fan. WTG Ed.:icon_thum

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
it's a nice gesture...but i hope it doesn't encourage people like those freaks that dug up ronnie vant zant's grave...they were checking to see if he was wearing a neil young shirt apparantly...from what i remember...i think they stole his skull...that's pretty gruesome... :wtf:

·
Registered
77 Posts
jimihendrix said:
it's a nice gesture...but i hope it doesn't encourage people like those freaks that dug up ronnie vant zant's grave...they were checking to see if he was wearing a neil young shirt apparantly...from what i remember...i think they stole his skull...that's pretty gruesome... :wtf:
They did the same with Steve Gaines didn't they?

El Jalepeno: you got mail!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts