Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,632 Posts
the effect loop normally is after the preamp. It sends a signal only to the power section of the amp avoiding any unwanted gain and colorations. The one pictured i would asssume by the controls is a parallel loop allowing control of the send and return signals. This lets you mix how much of the loop signal is mixed with the original signal being sent through the amp. This is sending a preamped signal out to your loop through whatever device in the loop and back to the power section of the amp while at the same time sending the original non processed signal through amp.
A normal set up is Guitar > wah> input of amp> loop send > effects(processor)>loop return.
VGB

· Registered
2,632 Posts
If I remember right Stig, the 5150II is a series loop only. relying on the level of whatever is in the loop to set the value of the signal. The ones with a volume or level control are the parallel loop that allows for adjustment of the mix.If your processor or whatever you have in the loop has an active real time expression pedal.(volume pedal) you can control the overall signal with that.
Hope this helps ya Stig.
Keith
VGB

· Registered
2,632 Posts
Chris , I would try it both ways, with the flange and phase before and after the V-AMP. if your using the V-AMP 's gain or distortion fx I would put the phase and flange after to keep a truer signal. Usually a distorted phased and or flanged signal is a bit odd sounding. where as a phased and or flanged distorted signal is more pleasing.
What is commonly considered a normal chain using an effects loop is
Guitar--> volume-->wha--> distortion or preamp-->[amp]-->
[fx send] -->flange-->phase--> (chorus, harmonizer,doubler)-->delay --> [fx return].

In your case Chris where your using only the power amp section of your amp.
Guitar--> VAMP--> flange--> phase--> fx return.

You can remove any of those you dont use or need . This isnt written in stone its just what is considered common

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.