Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to the world of rack mounted effects units, and I really have no idea how to put one into a setup. I have been using stomp boxes for quite a while and decided to try a rack mounted processor when a local music store clearanced some stuff out. I bought the Boss GX-700 and have been very happy with it (especially since I only paid $142 for it!) but I have no clue how to use it live or in a setup...I need some serious help!!! Is there some kinda of patch selector (I'm assuming) that I need to buy as well? Also, I have been trying to research this online, and I keep running into talk about midi stuff, is this something that I need to seek education and equipment for? Any help is HUGELY appreciated, thanks guys! (or gals) ~Adam~ :jam:

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
DJ Snoo said:
I am very new to the world of rack mounted effects units, and I really have no idea how to put one into a setup. I have been using stomp boxes for quite a while and decided to try a rack mounted processor when a local music store clearanced some stuff out. I bought the Boss GX-700 and have been very happy with it (especially since I only paid $142 for it!) but I have no clue how to use it live or in a setup...I need some serious help!!! Is there some kinda of patch selector (I'm assuming) that I need to buy as well? Also, I have been trying to research this online, and I keep running into talk about midi stuff, is this something that I need to seek education and equipment for? Any help is HUGELY appreciated, thanks guys! (or gals) ~Adam~ :jam:
VHfan has some rack mount stuff. Maybe he can point you in a positive direction. Shoot a PM to VHFanOU812. He will be more helpful on this than I can be right now :thumb:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More questions

Thanks a ton, I have been trying to get a straight answer from somebody for a month now, and nobody has been able to help me. What about the Roland FC-200? or the Behringer FCB 1010? are these just higher end midi foot controllers? Also, what is the purpose of the two expression pedals? I previously assumed that they were one volume one wah, but a bunch of the reviews for them say that there is no wah function....what would the purpose of the other pedal be? Price isn't a huge deal for me, so I am looking at basically anything....I want something with a lot of versatility because I do a lot of effect changes in my music, and I want something that will hold up pretty well. If I can get all that for cheap, great, but that isn't the determining factor. Most of the ART stuff seems to just be plastic and rubber...overall cheaply made...but then again, thats just by looks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, and tips or additional info would make my millenia, so feel free to spill all...Thanks a bunch! Cheers! :mix: ~DJ Snoo~ :mix:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Yep DJ, both of those pedals will do what you want. The foot controllers are programmable to effects in your rack that allow them....usually volume and wah. If your rack unit does not have the wah function, a controller will not give to to you. Behringer and Roland make great stuff so you should have not problems after you get it programmed and working.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Excellent

Again, thanks a bunch! I think I have enough info now to make an educated purchase. I have looked at the high end stuff like lexicon and rocktron controllers and they really seem like they have a huge price tag for not that much more impressive features. The roland and behringer units seems to be just enough and will work great, thanks for the great advice! :mix: ~DJ Snoo~ :mix:

Also, any good advice on programing midi stuff? or know anywhere with good newbie instructions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts