Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been using effects pedals since Dinosaurs roamed the earth and want to try and break free and get an effects processor. I don't know jack squat about what to get because the market is saturated with a zillion options.

I want something with all the normal effects but with enough built in effects to program maybe 20-30 different tones and preferably one that is geared towards the 80's metal tones & clean blues. I want to plug it into my effects loop through my Crate BV-120 tube amp and it would need to be "stage worthy" for live club gigs. I'm not wealthy so I'd like something under $400 dollars if possible. I just have no clue what the better processors are and what's crap.

Please can anyone help? Thanks!:icon_roll

·
Registered
311 Posts
What you want is amp modeling I guess.
Different amp sounds in one processor.

From what I know Line 6 is the great innovator on this area, their POD (current version is Xt) is very famous.
But: other companies make nice things too:
- Vox tonelab
- Boss ME 50.

I believe all are under 400 dollar.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Riff Addict said:
So Pod vs. Vamp huh? Any pros and cons?
I am no expert by any means......however when I started shopping around I found that the POD line seems to be the more popular, a few more bells and whistles and a higher price tag.....i went with the Vamp and I love it :D

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
If money is not a limiting factor and you like stomp boxes then you might want to consider the Boss GT Pro http://www.roland.co.uk/prodcatdetail.asp?ID=gt-pro

It emulates pretty much every boss pedal and can have 2 amp models running simultaneously. It can even direct the signal to either depending on how hard you hit the strings.

I have no idea how much it is going to cost though.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Many guys prefer pedals. Just curious, why do you want to break away from them?

As much as I love the Pods and V-Amp, they're perfect for recording but are not as effective live. Thing is, they're a desktop unit, and you'd have to change patches by hand unless you get a floorboard which means more $$$. I would go for a floor unit, something like the GT-6 or POD XTLive.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I tried the all-in-one route for a few years, but went back to my beloved pedals and never looked back. I have a Guitar Port for shits & giggles, & I've recorded with a POD, but I've never liked ANYTHING Line 6 makes for live performing. I've heard great things about the Boss unit (95% of my pedals are Boss, love those friggen army tanks) so I'd be tempted to give that a whirl.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
me too. The Boss/Roland corp have always produced decent products. I have the VG-88 and a midi pickup. I am just hoping the VG88 gets the GT-pro treatment soon. Much as I love the VG-88 technology has moved on in the last 40 months and I need a new toy :D

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
POD GOD said:
Many guys prefer pedals. Just curious, why do you want to break away from them?
I'd like have a foot controller for whatever fx I decide to get. I want to store several different tone combos (I'm a cover song musician) so I can select the right tone for each song WITH ONE CLICK. With my individual pedals, all I can do is add delay and chorus and I have to bend down and adjust each pedal by hand for different songs. Isn't there an Alesis type rack mount effect processor with foot controller that would do the trick? There's a million to choose from and I just don't know that much about processors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts