Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i am new around here and new to electric guitar! :jam:
And i am currently having a few problems with the strings, something must have happened on the way home again so....
the problem is that the string vibrates against a fret (i think), and that is with the bridge up high and in tune!....or could it be a lowsy string? :rant:

any ideas on what i missed??

thanks
Freakzilla

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hi there...do you mean fret buzz?....does this occur when you move the guitar from one temperature to another?...did you drop the guitar by any chance?....does it occur when unplugged...or plugged in?...a lot of things come into play...can you add some more details?...thanks - paul :confused:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah sure, i can tell you want i can!
I have not dropped it or banged it once, it vibrates on the fret and when doing an open on the two top strings E and A.
And it is always in the same temperature room so...

let me know if i can help anymore....after all i am new so this stuff is kinda tricky to me right now!

·
Registered
733 Posts
open E and A huh...which fret is it buzzing on? the first one?

·
Registered
733 Posts
well if its that far up on the neck and your bridge is all the way up, then you have a neck bow problem. you need to loosen the truss rod in the neck to move the neck up some so the strings wont hit the frets. you might want to take it to a music shop though...shouldnt cost hardly anything.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Capo the first fret, and press the low E string at the 17th fret. You should have between 10 and 25 thousands at the 7th and 9th frets. Depending on your playing preference. If there is no gap at all, the neck is too straight and the truss rod needs to be loosened. This is just a quick test. You should bring to someone for a set-up as stated by MattM.

·
Registered
235 Posts
ok let me ask you a few questions?
1) What type of MAterial is you Nut Made of?
2) take a small ruler, slide it across the fretboard... if it bumps... your gonna have to bring it to a luthier so he can do a fret job

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not of that registers so i will just go up to the music store on the weekend!
btw grant i think my bolts are chrome.

thanks for trying to help me, everybody

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nonono I meant Nut... If its made of Bone, then its good, but if its made of Plastic, change it!!! The thing is is the strings get placed improperly on the Nut, and they buzz like mad... The best thing to do though would to see a Luthier if the problem persists... He would fix it up real nice!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i still have no idea what your talking about, but i have booked my guitar in to the music store next week!, and i will be honest since i am only 14 i dont have large sums of money but that guitar was only $210 aud, and the catch to that is if i get good in about 2 years time i get a complete upgrade :)

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Freakzilla said:
i still have no idea what your talking about, but i have booked my guitar in to the music store next week!, and i will be honest since i am only 14 i dont have large sums of money but that guitar was only $210 aud, and the catch to that is if i get good in about 2 years time i get a complete upgrade :)
Assuming you are generally happy with the guitar so you will want to pick it up, this is a good way to approach it. Upgrade after you get better so you know what upgrades you want :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.