Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
  • Hello guitar enthusiasts! We are pleased to announce an Ask Me Anything discussion thread with Dutch musician Arjen Lucassen. The AMA will be going live on Tuesday, August 10th, and will run until August 12th, and can be found here. Don't miss out!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tribute concert to Elton Dean (1945-2006) at Le Triton (near Paris, France) May 27, 2006. This former Soft Machine member lived in France for years and this tribute is essentially that of his French musicians friends, with also his faithful compatriots Hugh Hopper, Jim Dvorak…
Another tribute concert with English musicians took place in London later.

This concert was vey moving, and very well played in my opinion. The final "Seven For Lee" is one of the best versions I've heard of this classic, with vocals and guitar, very unusual for this tune.

When you think that, after Elton, Pip Pyle, then Hugh Hopper and then Faton (all participating here), have since left us... RIP

CD 1

The WRONG OBJECT
01 – Unicycle (The Wrong Object) 9.59
02 –New one, no title yet (Delville) 5.43
03 – Baker's treat (Dean) 9.18
04 – The unbelievable truth (Delville) 11.06
05 – Other people (Delville) 2.04
Michel Delville : guitare Fred Delplancq : saxophone Jean-Paul Estiévenart : trumpet Damien Polard : bass Laurent Delchambre : drums
Special guests : Alex Maguire : piano, keyboards Frank van der Kooij : saxophone [4]

FATON CAHEN TRIO
06 –Improvisation (Cahen / Pyle / Calamel) 6.35
Faton Cahen : piano - Pip Pyle : drums - Charles Calamel : double bass

DIDIER MALHERBE DUO
07 –Blues de l'horizon (Malherbe) 5.17
08 –Doudouk jive (Malherbe) 6.24
Didier Malherbe : saxophone, duduk - Patrice Meyer : acoustic guitar

JOHN GREAVES
09 –Back where we began (Domancich / Greaves) 5.52
10 –A crying shame (Greaves) 7.08 (unreleased composition about Elton)
John Greaves : piano [10], voice - Sophia Domancich : piano [9] - Didier Malherbe : duduk [10]

THE UNINVITED BAND
11 –The passing strange (Greaves / Pyle / Maguire / text : John Masefield) 10.07
John Greaves : bass, voice - Pip Pyle : drums - Alex Maguire : piano

CD 2

EQUIP OUT
01 – Thunder (Dean) 10.59
02 – Amba (Dean) 7.42
Pip Pyle : drums - Patrice Meyer : electric guitar - Charles Calamel : double bass - Alex Maguire : piano [1] - Sophia Domancich : piano [2] - Pierre-Olivier Govin : saxophone [1]

SOFT BOUNDS
03 – La part des anges (Domancich) 15.56
04 – Fara (Dean) 6.15
05 – Dedicated to Elton but… (Greaves) 10.51 (unreleased instrumental composition from Greaves, very surprising. We're almost back to his National Health days !)
06 –Wanglo saxon (Hopper) 12.37
Hugh Hopper : bass - Sophia Domancich : piano - Simon Goubert : drums - Pierre-Olivier Govin : saxophone
Special guests : Jim Dvörak : trumpet [3] [6] - John Greaves : voice [3] - Frank van der Kooj : saxophone [6] - Patrice Meyer : electric guitar [6]

THE MEMORIAL BAND
07 –Presentation 1.58
08 –Seven for Lee (Dean) 11.15
Hugh Hopper : bass - Sophia Domancich : piano - Alex Maguire : keyboards - Simon Goubert : drums - Jim Dvörak : trumpet - Jean-Paul Estiévenart : trumpet - Pierre Olivier Govin : saxophone - Frank van der Kooj : saxophone - Didier Malherbe : saxophone - Fred Delplancq : saxophone - John Greaves : voice - Patrice Meyer : electric guitar - Pip Pyle : cymbal

FLAC, artwork included
partie 1
partie 2

lineage :
Minidisc -> analog transfer to MacBook pro -> Bias Peak for editing -> Flac

·
Registered
541 Posts
Many thanks for posting this.

Btw, the tribute concert in London that you mentioned took place on May 9, 2006 - almost 3 weeks prior to this one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can't believe I see this only now. I've downloaded it immediately, and I'm not disappointed. This is REALLY GOOD !
Great sound and performance, with some unreleased tracks by some of my favourite artists and bands.

I wondered if "The UNINVITED BAND" couldn't be in fact SOFT HEAP ? In the 80's, Soft Heap was John Greaves, Pip Pyle, Mark Hewins, and Elton Dean. With Elton's passing, a reformation with Alex Maguire replacing Hewins would make sense; and the music they're playing here is very similar to what Soft Heap was doing.

Many thanks for this post.
Great artwork too (as usual with Hemix).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wondered if "The UNINVITED BAND" couldn't be in fact SOFT HEAP ? In the 80's, Soft Heap was John Greaves, Pip Pyle, Mark Hewins, and Elton Dean. With Elton's passing, a reformation with Alex Maguire replacing Hewins would make sense; and the music they're playing here is very similar to what Soft Heap was doing.
That's a good point : the last reincarnation of Soft Heap... why not.
I named them "The Uninvited band" because they were not on the program that was distributed at the entrance. They played just before the interval and it was apparently a spontaneous decision from these musicians to play together at this moment. I think it was not planned, but I may be wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts