Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

Elvis Costello - 1978-11-13 Calgary (AUD/MP3)

857 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SparkyKW 
#1 ·
Microphone Musician Guitar accessory Font Artist

ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ATTRACTIONS
Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
Calgary
13 November 1978

01. Mystery Dance
02. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
03. Waiting For The End Of The World
04. Radio, Radio
05. Accidents Will Happen
06. The Beat
07. Party Girl
08. This Year's Model
09. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
10. Lipstick Vogue
11. Watching The Detectives
12. I Stand Accused
13. You Belong To Me
14. Pump It Up
15. I'm Not Angry

Elvis Costello - vocals, guitar
Steve Nieve - keyboards
Bruce Thomas - bass guitar
Pete Thomas - drums

40 years on ............................
Once every so often in this series, I revisit a show and end up gobsmacked at just what a potent and vibrant force Elvis Costello And the Attractions were at this time (and have proved to be so many times since) Whilst Elvis and The Imposters proceed across Northern America and wow audiences with new material and old, promoting the special Look Now album this month, 40 years ago the band were doing much the same without a brand new album to promote but generating feverish excitement in the media and accruing a large fan base which has pretty much stuck with them ever since. This particular concert has only recently come to light courtesy of The Calgary Cassette Preservation Society (CCPS Miscellany: Elvis Costello - Document (1978)) who released information regarding a recording called Document which is a rare audience recording made of this show. The recording has a slightly unusual setlist order and I've taken the liberty of rearranging the tracks into a setlist that more closely mimics the other performances from the Wake Up Canada tour and reflects the way the show generally built to a climax - though some might dispute my placement of I Stand Accused ( but you can always play it on shuffle !) The recording is excellent, sonically, one of the best I've heard from this period and also features The Attractions in scintillating form with perhaps only Bruce sounding slightly more subdued than normal but Steve and Pete more than making up for that. I've also adjusted the pitch as this was recorded at a rather quick speed and it took some adjusting to get the tracks in tune. However, it's been well worth it and, along with the Brighton show from March 1978 and, of course, the glorious El Mocambo and Hollywood High shows, this remains amongst my personal favourites from this period.
After a blistering start of Mystery Dance and Red Shoes, Elvis shouts "Good evening, we're The Attractions" before launching into Waiting For The End Of The World. Calgary itself gets its first mention before Radio Radio where the local radio is berated much to the delight of the audience and then Accidents is introduced as a new song and Elvis comments after "I thought you'd like that". The improvisational skills of the Attractions begins to become obvious during an extended break in the next song, The Beat which is followed by a then unrecorded and unreleased Party Girl with no comment from Elvis and then Steve seems to just smash his hands on the keyboards several times at the start of This Year's Girl where Bruce takes off towards the end in a flight of bass line fantasy. After Chelsea, the next two tracks sum up the sheer brilliance of this particular recording with Pete possessed by the ghost of Keith Moon as he deconstructs and reassembles the now familiar patterns in Lipstick Vogue and rarely plays the same phrases twice during an inspired instrumental section whilst Steve plays some Gothic church cadenza which becomes quieter before bursting to life again before the pulsating finale and the segue into Detectives which again has Steve producing some amazing extemporisations and Pete flourishing his ability to change patterns without losing his impeccable sense of timing. Elvis is almost completely overshadowed by all of this but sings faultlessly and with a quaver in his voice on several occasions as he almost laughs as he's singing. He gets enraged by a member of the audience ( or possibly the security) at the start of Pump It Up and then cajoles the audience by asking them to behave better and more energetically than the crowd in Edmonton the night before. The only encore I'm Not Angry doesn't have quite the tension or vocal dramas of some of the earlier performances of this or earlier tours but this is still a recording I can unreservedly recommend to anyone with a passing interest in Elvis Costello's early live concerts. A million thanks to the Calgary Cassette Preservation Society for making this available and for having this great concert in the vaults and to the unknown person who recorded this in the first place

------
https://www.filefactory.com/file/2uxv1gc0zu6q/EC_-_1978-11-13_Calgary_(MP3).rar
https://www.mediafire.com/file/kajub7pl44jrwju/EC_-_1978-11-13_Calgary_%28MP3%29.rar/file

Microphone Musical instrument Music artist Guitar accessory Music
Microphone Musical instrument Musician Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory
Microphone Sleeve Music Font Artist

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.