17. Stella Hurt
18. Watching The Detectives
19. One Way Love
20. Alison
21. break
22. Big Boys Cry
23. Almost Blue
24. Shipbuilding
25. Let's Put Out The Lights (And Go To Sleep)
26. Radio Soul
27. I Want You
28. break
29. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
30. A Slow Drag With Josephine
31. Veronica (sound problems)
32. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
33. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding?

I've been exhorting people, on this site and elsewhere, to drop everything and go see these EC solo shows -- they're spectacular, full of seemingly once-in-a-lifetime things every single evening, and not only does it seem essential that they be well-attended, but it feels like a service we're doing by recording them and sharing and preserving them. Well, here was my chance to put my money where my mouth was -- it seemed not-unlikely that this show, on a very chilly Monday night in central Pennsylvania, might go untaped, and so I rented a car and made the long drive out from New York. Thank goodness I did -- I was hoping for something special like "Mistress And Maid" or "Pardon Me Madam, My Name Is Eve." but couldn't have imagined being treated with "One Way Love" or "Big Boys Cry." And don't even get me started on "Let's Put Out The Lights (And Go To Sleep)," or the flabbergasting one-two punch of "You Little Fool" and "Pony St." Amazing, amazing, amazing.

I should caution you, though, that as good as the show was, it was also a little strange. Elvis was in a funny, meandering sort of mood, and the crowd was one of the least cooperative I've ever seen -- they were enthusiastic, but often unruly, like unherdable sheep. Attempts to corral them into audience participation call-and-response invariably went awry, and then things got out of hand when shouted-out requests -- some of them quite good, actually -- brought an off-mic stretch of "Josephine" to a screeching halt. You'll hear the laughter when, after a few minutes of stall while folks failed to get the hint to shut up, a roadie emerged from the wings, shaking his head in annoyance, to turn off the "Request" lamp center stage. The guy next to me trying tunelessly to add background vocals to "Red Shoes" was pretty great, though -- you might find him annoying, but I kind of dug him.

In addition, this recording is not the best you'll find from this tour -- it's not even the best one I've made personally in the past few weeks. Perhaps taking a cue from the badly-behaved crowd, my recorder decided to act up. Sound problems mar "Possession," "Accidents," "Detectives," "I Want You," and most particularly "Veronica." In addition, a bump from someone sneaking across me to find her seat shut the recorder off in the closing seconds of "Possession," and I didn't get it back on until a few seconds into "Accidents Will Happen." They will indeed. Fortunately, aside from "Possession" none of the one-offs from the night suffered -- in fact, when the tape sounds good, it sounds really quite nice indeed.

Sorry to talk your ear off -- just want to make sure you know what you're getting here. The usual stuff to close -- please share this, and convert it, and remaster it, and post it anywhere you like. But be sure to buy anything EC puts out. Surely you've noticed that he's on a tremendous roll, right? Every single album he makes is worth your record-buying dollar. Enjoy!

http://www.filefactory.com/file/2czhso3i33ub/EC_-_2013-11-25_Wilkes-Barre_(gravenb).rar

mirror:
https://mega.nz/#!foUQ1BLB!eLbEmdyiXaX4aq5pxUIKfRjVVtVERLtm1ktocqeOZCU

mirror:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6mxjtdoxyemav9f/EC_-_2013-11-25_Wilkes-Barre_(gravenb).rar

1 - 1 of 1 Posts