Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Elvis fans. I'm sure most all of us are able to find what "imports" we are looking for thanks to the hard work of some great people here on this site. I recently bought two CDs from this site: http://www.dpsoftware.freeserve.co.uk/index.html I personally think that Rick Nelson was an absolute badass - and a true shaper of Rock and Roll. Only two guys in the 1950's managed to have #1 Rock LPs - Elvis and Rick. Elvis never really took an interest in writing songs, but Rick was able to take an ability he had (just barely at first) and become one hell of a songwriter.

For years I've been looking for the two albums the record companies never bothered putting out - "Rockabilly Renaissance" and "Back to Vienna" but could never find the ORIGINAL tracks. I bought (and paid BIG money) for 2 CDs a few years ago that turned out to be a few unedited tracks with the overdubbed and commercially released versions. I was new to Rick's music, so I didn't really know the difference.

If anyone here is looking for that Rick Nelson song(s) they've not been able to find - this guy can help you. I want to be clear . . . I do not benefit at all here. I stumbled across the site one day and contacted them and decided to take a chance and buy the two CDs I needed. I had the package from England (to the US) in less than a week - with everything that was promised. So, if you're looking, please give this site a look. They are honest and will treat you right!

Thanks - and a special thanks to the members here that have helped me with some of the older Elvis boots I needed - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
Thanks raymondc, I'm a fan of Ricky Nelson and for like ten years had only seen the Greatest Hits cd, repackaged with a few different live tracks over and over!

Going to check out that site !

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mlotek - you won't be disappointed. Like Presley and The Beach Boys and the Beatles - the big record companies simply re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release all the "greatest hits" and idiots like me buy each one to "complete the collection." I have to say that the FTD part of RCA/BMG is doing one hell of a job re releasing Elvis' classic albums and some stuff that has been booted - and other things that most fans have never heard, but EACH CD cost between 40 & 50 bucks!! It's a great idea and worth the price - but that's a lot of cash. I hope Capitol will catch on with the Beach Boys and Beatles material someday - but I'm guessing the prices would be out of reach. I mean - what Beach Boys fan wouldn't pay $100.00 or more for a boxed set of SMiLE material? Capitol, Brian, Mike, Bruce and Al should all get together, go through the tapes and put it out - not as an album, but a boxed set of sessions. I know Brian did a SMiLE album (and I loved it) but to me SMiLE is still the greatest unreleased Rock album ever. Material from some sessions have been booted, but a 6 - 10 CD boxed set of outtakes of Good Vibrations and songs from between "Pet Sounds" and "Smiley Smile" would be great. I know I'd buy it. Oh well . . . maybe someday.

Another word on Rick's material; for some reason a British company put out the 2fers (2 LPs on 1 CD with extra tracks.) then Capitol put them out - but were deleted from the catalog. Sales problem maybe? Bear Family (thank GOD for them) has put out two great boxed sets covering Rick's first recording session up through the 1969 concert at the Troubadour. The second set had no alt. takes though and that was a disappointment, but they did a great job of putting all the material in one place (if you can afford it.) The tracking was weird for the "Perspective" album because it was released as a concept album. When Bear put the songs on the boxed set, they didn't track them correctly, so it sounds strange to me - but the sound quality is great. The next set will be a "must buy" for Nelson fans - it should cover his Stone Canyon Band years . . . I'm really hoping they have a disc full of outtakes like they had with the first one.

Anyway, the site I gave has a few CDs of Ricks unreleased albums. The sound is better than I expected but not perfect. I have no idea who owns the master tapes, but they've done a good job of keeping it to themselves. I think you'll enjoy what they have to offer. Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello fellow Elvis fans. I'm sure most all of us are able to find what "imports" we are looking for thanks to the hard work of some great people here on this site. I recently bought two CDs from this site: http://www.dpsoftware.freeserve.co.uk/index.html I personally think that Rick Nelson was an absolute badass - and a true shaper of Rock and Roll. Only two guys in the 1950's managed to have #1 Rock LPs - Elvis and Rick. Elvis never really took an interest in writing songs, but Rick was able to take an ability he had (just barely at first) and become one hell of a songwriter.

For years I've been looking for the two albums the record companies never bothered putting out - "Rockabilly Renaissance" and "Back to Vienna" but could never find the ORIGINAL tracks. I bought (and paid BIG money) for 2 CDs a few years ago that turned out to be a few unedited tracks with the overdubbed and commercially released versions. I was new to Rick's music, so I didn't really know the difference.

If anyone here is looking for that Rick Nelson song(s) they've not been able to find - this guy can help you. I want to be clear . . . I do not benefit at all here. I stumbled across the site one day and contacted them and decided to take a chance and buy the two CDs I needed. I had the package from England (to the US) in less than a week - with everything that was promised. So, if you're looking, please give this site a look. They are honest and will treat you right!

Thanks - and a special thanks to the members here that have helped me with some of the older Elvis boots I needed - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!
rick nelson cds are hard to find where i live, hell most people who work in the record stores dont even know who is they look at me like i have 10 heads and they ask "willie nelson?" im like know ricky nelson travelin man hello mary lou. the only cds i have of rick is the legacy box set and his last concert he performed in 1985 and a few budget cds that have all the same stuff. does anyone have anything they could share since its hard to buy stuff from europe here in america? any help would be greatly appriciated i love rick nelson he was one cool dude. if it werent for him rock n roll couldve died when elvis was in the army and everyone else was either dying or getting into trouble.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Bear Family 7-CD set, "The Last Time Around: 1970-1982", is in fact awesome!!! It comes with an LP-sized book. I'd love to have all three sets:

Rick Nelson: The American Dream 1957-1963
Rick Nelsoin: For You - The Decca Years: 1964-1969
Rick Nelson: The Last Time Around: 1970-1982

My only problem at the moment in getting these three sets are financial, of course. Bear Family wants between $160-180.00 each for all three sets....but, by golly, whatever it takes, I'm going to get them!!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
The Bear Family 7-CD set, "The Last Time Around: 1970-1982", is in fact awesome!!! It comes with an LP-sized book. I'd love to have all three sets:

Rick Nelson: The American Dream 1957-1963
Rick Nelsoin: For You - The Decca Years: 1964-1969
Rick Nelson: The Last Time Around: 1970-1982

My only problem at the moment in getting these three sets are financial, of course. Bear Family wants between $160-180.00 each for all three sets....but, by golly, whatever it takes, I'm going to get them!!!
I've got the 1st 2 but am looking for The Last Time Around. Can't find that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.