Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys. I got in an arguement with my friend about music. I say you need technical ability to convey emotions. He says look at "the kinks" they show way more emotion than vai.

welllll I say shut up
what do you guys say?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think that too much technical ability can hamstring your emotionality?, emotionalness?, whatever. I think Vai is a great player technically, but I think Neil Schon, and Joe Perry can better convey emotions through thier playing. I think you have to have a certian amount of technical knowledge (Notes, scales, etc...) but I think phrasing, and lead construction is something that is brought out in each individual player, and can't be learned. Sure, you can teach someone how to play certian phrases an put them together to construct a coherent lead, but that's not emotion.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Sorry BB, not much need for technical ability to convey emotions
If you can speak it right, a very emotional player can convey just about anything from one pattern, where as a very technical player may not convey much emotion at all. Personally, I think there is a trade off somewhere near the middle. If you strive for technical superiority, you lose emotion.

I know a guy that can spout of any diminshed whichmjigger there is, but can't play worth spit. I can't tell you what a diminshed whatchmajigger, but I sure as hell can convey some emotion

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my analogy with him is though

you need legs to run fast
just because you have legs doesnt mean you can run fast
but you still need them if you want to be able to run

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
wow i have heard this asked and argued many many many times... i for one feel without emotion you can be as technical as you want but you wont express anything in the song itself... just cuz you know the techniques and have the ability to speak the knowledge doesnt mean you can express that through your fingers...technical ability can be taught, playing with emotion cant be taught... i will leave it at that...

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
It's a delicate balance, the great ones have both. I've always been a student of the school of thought that you need to know the rules to break them. If I had to make a choice though, I would take someone playing something heartfelt as opposed as some guy chucking notes at my ears that sound like math problems.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Like VanMan said, it's a delicate balance. I have written some great emotional stuff in my head. Now, if I only had the technical ability to get it out

·
Registered
479 Posts
def emotion/heart comes first...but there is a fine line there....in Sucka's signature he quotes dave mustaine

"David Gilmour can say more in three or four notes than Yngwie can say in 100, but at least they're both speaking." ~Dave Mustaine GW Interview '04

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well my point isnt to glorify people like malmsteen
I just think that technique really helps people convey their emotions
not playing fast or blah blah....but really being in control of their instrument, thats my definition of technique

and ps. all of you guys have great technique in my book!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think it definitely takes both. However, some people misconceive slow bendy playing as playing with emotion. And others hear a speed run and totally shut down their heart. Well, some slow bendy stuff is just technique, and some speedy runs convey much emotion. Bottom line, if the player is truly trying to express himself, someone will feel it. If the player is trying to impress, well, someone will feel that too.

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
im gonna say what phil has not yet said .. go and buy Steve Vai live in london astoria and the G3 from 96' ... watch him play .. and if you can honestly tell me again that he is not one of the most emotionally involved players you have seen .. then you are gonna be a liar . because the guy becomes the notes . he gets more into each note in each song than i have ever seen at all .. and hes a great technical talent . this whole argument is somewhat futile because alot of players Vai included .. get so good technically that they dont need to think about what they are playing and finger position . they just get deep into it and it shows with Vai . im surprised when i see people say Steve Vai has no emotion . thats the most absurd thing ive ever heard . and phil will agree with me im sure .. i think yngwie had plenty emotion too although its lost in alot of his songs .. if you watch him play the adagio peice on G3 live in denver you will see he is deep into it . but yes .. alot of players dont have the emotion . but i think saying Vai is one of them is pretty ignorant . the actual emotion VS ability thing can go on forever .. fact remains .. some people want to be virtuosos .. some people just wanna be able to play a couple scales and they are happy . but at the same time .. both types of players both have the same capacity for conveying emotion . i have seen plenty players who are not good technically and they dont convey emotion either ... so you go figure lol ... but please dont tell me Vai has no emotion because thats one thing he has by the bucket full .

thats all folks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Definition of Vai's playing in the Ernie Ball ad:

"Plays with the hands of 10 men but the soul of a thousand"

there has to be emotion to go with you ability. Like PG and VanMan said there has to be a delicate balance between emotion and ability. Unfortunately the line between this 2 is very much blured

·
Registered
886 Posts
oh damn DB you beat me to it. I agree, when I saw Vai live and he did 'whispering a prayer' it was one of the most amazing feelings I have ever had. He probably removed a few grown men to tears. He is one of the few guitar players to channel all of his emotions and transfer them to guitar.

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
It's a very delicate subject .. i think it just depends on what your into really .. i've heard people of all abilitys who have no emotion in their playing .. good and bad ...

I used to think having a whole heap of technique would limit you .. but it's definately how you use it .. when i learn to improvise over new pieces my teacher makes me do exercises where i play straight 16th notes and basically totally shred over the piece playing scales and no phrases.. and it's an awesome way to start off .. because it just gets that technique up over the piece.. if you wanna go nuts at the height of your solo you have the technique to do it. .. playing slow all the time isnt neccesirily going to make you an emotional player ... it's all how you build things ... thats just my opinion .. it's something i've worked quite hard on .. definately haven't mastered it yet !

i hope i conveyed a point in that post lol .. i'm not very good at explaining what i mean most of the time ! lol

oh yeah that reminds me i gotta do that phrasing lesson for the lessons and tabs forum ! .. thanks for reminding me guys

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
This is going to sound lame but I know many guitarists on the local scene who hated metal and preferred the blues artists when they started playing guitar. All the "1 note with passion is better than a 1000 with none" type quotes were said often. As they got better they started learning the stuff they previously dismissed until most of them ended up as heavy rock/metal players. The truth nearly every guitarist plays with feeling and passion - or else what is the point?

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I think it's all down to whether you connect with it or not.

Guitar playing is a form of expression. So I think you definitely convey some sort of emotion whatever technical level you are at.

The key is whether or not someone else can connect with that emotion that you convey. That's all it is with me and music, to be honest. Whether or not I connect or not. I used to think that Vai had no emotion, then I realised it's just that I just don't "get" a lot of what he does, to be honest, or, it doesn't get me.

I personally like the Flex-Able album a lot more, because I believe it to be more raw, and I connect with it better.

However, there's also the hearing thing with me to take into account, so maybe that's another factor for why I don't connect with certain types of stuff ?

Whatever, the point I'm trying to make is that I believe most players play with emotion. Once you know a few chords and scales you can get the emotion across. It's all about whether someone else can connect with it.

Just because you can't connect with what the guys playing, doesn't mean they've got no emotion.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Emotion first but ability comes a close second. There is a lot of souless widdle out there but there are players that have fantastic ability that also connect as one with their chosen instrument. I think Gary Moore, Neal Schon, Vai, Satch, loads more...all have something called 'verve'. This is a mixture of both emotion and ability and comes out with taste-nothings overstated too much. Malmsteen has amazing chops but uses them for the same harmonic minor scales and arpeggios thruout his career. Listen to him play something like 'Dreaming' and you can hear he has it but he just doesn't use it often enough for me. But thats me whereas talk to Yakamashi and he will tell you that Yngwie has the lot. It's such a personal thing. Emotion wins the arguement for me.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts